Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef fatties, will they stay together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef fatties, will they stay together?

I've made a couple of fatties in the past with sausage. But too much sausage can be overwhelming. So I'm thinking that I might be able to do a fattie using ground beef instead. But will it stay together or will I have a crumbly mess? I guess I can add some egg and breadcrumbs like in meatloaf to help it stick.

I guess I'm just talking this out to see if there's any other ideas to make it stay in one piece.

I know I can wrap it in a bacon weave. However, the wife isn't a bacon fan. I know! I didn't think it was possible for someone to not love bacon.

Add some ground pork to the beef mix. It will give you some fat. You need a good protein extraction and myocin to bind it. It's hard to get that in beef, that's why pork makes the best sausages. You can add some beef fat or ground up shank, but you run the risk of having it smear.

You don't have to add the sausage spices, just grind some pork butt or have your butcher or retail store grind you some if you don't have a grinder.
    Last edited by Sephon; September 8, 2017, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here