Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heiland Coos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heiland Coos

Hey, all! I just found a farm raising Heiland Coos (highland cattle) just a 45 minute drive away. I'm thinking of buying a half or quarter coo. have any of you tried Highland cow, before? I have heard marvelous things about it and, frankly, anything out of Scotland has to be good, right?

Careful how much you eat Karon - ya just might wind up with a wee bit of a Scottish accent.

Comment

I love everything from Scotland, I look forward to hearing more.

Comment

I have always been someone who could pick up accents. I found it helped me get to know people to echo theirs. I never did it intentionally, it just kind of happens. We used to do highland games and one year, our clan was the "Honored clan" and that meant the games sponsored out clan Chief and his spouse to come over from Scotland. I made him a pair of hand knitted hose and I screwed them up, forgetting that the cuff and the ribbing were supposed to be folded over one another and so they were 3 inches too long! I was HORRIBLY embarrassed! He, displaying why people do, in the end, love the Aristocracy, in line for a Marquissette, gamely wore them that Saturday to the games. I wish he had allowed me to take them back and fix them but, he was SO kind about them.

anyway, we spent a good bit of time chatting as he knew his was the main attraction and I kind of was too. yo see, I started brinign my spinning wheel with me to games because I got bored just sitting around outside all day. then, we started having people come to the back of our clan tent to watch, so they started making me sit out front. so, he and I were kind of on display next to one another.

ANYWAY...... that Saturday, my daughter, who was probably 8 at the time, wanted to know why I was speaking with a Scottish accent? actually, she asked me why I was talking like that man from Scotland.

as it happened on Sunday, the local Clan head needed to go on to the field and asked if we could take Andrew and his wife to the games. we were staying at one of those hotels that provided [powdered eggs and watery waffle batter for breakfast so I asked it they'd like to get some real breakfast. and, of course, they did. Remember Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe? We were holding our Games in THAT town. well, actually, OUTSIDE that town in the 'suburbs'. the only place to eat was Waffle house. Yup. I took the heir to a Marquissette to Waffle House.

He LOVED it! When our local head found out, you could just SEE his face fall apart. "you took them WHERE????"

about that time, Andrew comes up to Michael and starts RAVING about how great the food was! it was SO neat for him to watch the kid at the grill! and the waittress, she had a WHOLE differetn language and remembered everything, translated it, and very nearly instantly his reakfast was there ! and it was DELICIOUS! they had never had bacon like that before! and those waffles!!!

and on and on! I think Michael was a bit overwhelmed! on the drive from the hotel to the literal middle of nowhere (seriously, Juliette is 20 minutes from the freeway and the fields were 15 minutes beyond that) we drove down some VERY country roads. the fields and even the Trailer homes were what fascinated him the most. he had a tough time grasping the idea that people lived in the trailers. but he thought it was the COOLEST idea for folks who lived so far out in the country!

anyway, a few years ago, I met this lovely young lady and we were hanging out at the mall, chatting. she was about my then adult daughter's age. as it happens, it was about BBQ. my across the street neighbor sometimes wants to toss some meat on my smoker. so, I gave her a call to tell her I was going to smoke that weekend. when I hung up, this young woman just stared at me. "Where did THAT come from?" she asked.

What?

"That ACCENT! it was like you just became a different person!"

yeah, that's how my accent changes depending on with whom I am speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Karon Adams View Post
          Hey, all! I just found a farm raising Heiland Coos (highland cattle) just a 45 minute drive away. I'm thinking of buying a half or quarter coo. have any of you tried Highland cow, before? I have heard marvelous things about it and, frankly, anything out of Scotland has to be good, right?
          So did you see Austin Powers?

Comment

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            no, I didn't. don't tell me he did unnatural things to those lovely coos.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            No, it was a certain person from Scotland of notorious proportion. Are you kidding? You have to watch that!

My wife loves Ewan MCgregor and David Tennant. For their accents, of course.

Comment

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            doesn't hurt that they are both hotter than our searing flames, but yeah, the accent. we'll go there. she needs to hear John Barrymore's, too.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here