Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermometer left in steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermometer left in steak

Is there any concerns about using a leave-in-thermometer with cooking 1-1/2" thick ribeyes? I am using the reverse searing method.

Better accuracy. Doing too well of a job.

I am concerned you won't be sharing with me.

Comment

Me thinks that this would be a good idea to make sure the steaks hit the correct internal temp ( around 115 - I think ), then pull it and do the reverse sear. Yum!

Comment

Left one in last week and it worked just fine. Mmmmm porterhouse...

Comment

As long as it wasn't a Thermopop - I hear they explode

Comment

• Medusa
            Medusa commented
            Editing a comment
            That's after they start melting...

No concerns. I do it when I do steaks, burgers, chops, you name it. What thermometer are you referring to?...BruceB makes an obvious but still appropriate point. Some folks think instant reads are meant to be left in, please don't make that mistake!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains lots of how-tos and please-dos!

Hope to hear & see more from you.

Comment

Just make sure you're not leaving in the thermometer while you reverse sear. Most thermometers cannot handle warp 10 heat.

Comment

I caught a Mav on sale for Cyber Monday on Amazon last week so I tested it out on some 2.25" rib-eyes.
              I dried em off.
              Hit em with a few pinches of coarse kosher.
              Seared on all sides in the pan then moved them to a baking sheet on a rack with the Mav stuck sideways into the largest steak.
              I got them to within 5-6 degrees of perfect med-rare and holy cow. They were the most perfect steaks I've ever SEEN let alone cooked!

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Right on! You did them in an oven? The Mavs sure do change how good we eat don't they?

• Josh Peal
                Josh Peal commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah yeah, in the oven. Some how I forgot that little detail. LOL.
                I'm in love with my Mav. I can't wait to put it to more good use.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here