Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insanely long stall on Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insanely long stall on Pastrami

I've smoked store bought corned beef a number of times to make pastrami, but the DIY gene is dominant in me, so I had to cure a brisket, if only once.

I used Stephen Raichlen's pastrami recipe in "Project Smoke", curing a 5 pound brisket in brine for 12 days. The night before the smoke, I pulled the meat out of the brine, rinsed it, dried with paper towels, put rub on it, and put it on a rack in a baking pan in the oven to dry a bit and form a pellicle overnight.

On smoke day, the corned been went in when the smoker stabilized at 225 and I liked the look of the smoke. And then the brisket hit a long stall at around 150F. I know how to deal with the stall. Sit down, do something else, have a beer and it'll take care of itself. Still, it was stalled for over 5 hours! I'm not a fan of the Texas Crutch or even wrapping in butcher paper, so in the stall it sat.

My informal technique worled, it always does, though it was more than one beer. Was the very long stall due to the moisture the brisket picked up in the brine?

At the end of the smoke, the pastrami was very good, even my fussy wife says so. Katz's deli doesn't need to lose sleep over my attempts, but it won't be the last time we do this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pasttramith.jpg Views:	2 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	373697

Meat is already almost 75% water, so a thick piece like that at 225, you're just begging for a mack daddy stall.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB pretty sure you don't have 75% water at consumption 100% water tastes pretty good when you are trying to pass a stone

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have to take your word for it on that, Jerod

• Mike76266
      Mike76266 commented
      Editing a comment
      And I got it too! In the end, I kicked it up to 250F and things started moving. Slowly.

Wet brine for sure is going to make for a long stall. I've experienced the same thing with salmon.

Comment

When it hits the stall at 150, that is the time to take it off the smoker, otherwise it may dry out. The next step is steam. Sous vide is even better, the vacuum bag holds the crust close to the meat and doesn't wash off. This is mine from today
      Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great!

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I take mine to 200 internal, many times unwrapped the whole way. Just depends on my bark development.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here