Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flank!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flank!

Give me your go to flank steak marinade, rub and techniques.

Flank is a passion of mine and it'll be going on the grill tonight despite the outskirts of Harvey raining on us.

I usually marinate in soy, Worcestershire, thick grind of lemon pepper and some red wine. Then hot and fast on the grill, 4-5 minutes a side depending on weight.

I usually don't prepare this with a Tex mex flavor, I save that for skirt.
    Last edited by RanchoStarvo; August 27, 2017, 01:29 PM.

2 scotch bonnet peppers seeded, cored and diced
    1 roma tomato diced
    1/4 cup olive oil
    big pinch of kosher salt
    big pinch of CRACKED (not ground) black pepper
    juice from one orange
    Juice from one lemon
    half a bunch of cilantro chopped
    1/4 bunch of parsley chopped
    1 shallot or 1/2 a medium red onion chopped
    one tbs of fresh chopped thyme

Marinate with half the mixture for about 4 hours. Grill high heat, spooning the marinade from the bag over (add when you first hit the grill, and the rest when you flip, make sure you get it hot, it had raw beef in it). When good and seared over high heat and the interior is still pink and juicy, pull. Top with remaining half of marinade that never touched the beef as a dressing (keep it cold, good contrast of temp) sere immediately after cutting across the grain.

Comment

• RanchoStarvo
      RanchoStarvo commented
      Editing a comment
      This looks tasty

here you go, The Artery clogging special, we serve it with sticky rice and the leftovers make great sandwiches, I have been known to double up on the whiskey (I prefer to use a good Bourbon as I sample as I cook)

FLANK STEAK in WHISKEY BUTTER SAUCE

Marinade,

2 Flank Steaks 1 1/4- 1 1/2 Lbs each
    1 Cup olive oil
    1 Cup beer
    2 Cups dry red wine
    1/2-cup soy sauce
    1/2 Tbl hot pepper sauce
    2 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
    5 cloves garlic, mashed
    1 Tbl rosemary
    5 bay leaves crumbled
    2 tsp. thyme
    2 tsp. course ground pepper
    1 Large onion, sliced thinly

Sauce
    2 medium, onions, minced
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup plus 1 Tbl whiskey
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 Tbl course ground pepper
    1 1/2 cups [3 sticks] unsalted butter, softened (Dave now just used 2 sticks of regular butter)

Directions
    1. Marinate steaks in refrigerator over night, then at room temperature for two hours
    2. Begin the sauce- combine onion, garlic, 1/2 c. of the whiskey, Worches. sauce, mustard, hot pepper sauce, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until reduced to about 3/4 c.( takes 8-10 minutes) *This can be prepared in advance.
    3. Weber the steaks to medium rare. Let sit 5 minutes before carving.
    4. Meanwhile, finish the sauce. Reduce heat to low and whisk in 1/2 cup of butter, 1 Tbl. at a time. Continue whisking in the remaining 2 sticks of butter-several Tbl. at a time. Whisk in the remaining 1 Tbl. of whiskey (sauce will be thick).
    5. Assemble the Dish- Cut the steak against the grain, on the diagonal, into thin slices. Coat lightly with the sauce. Serve the remaining sauce on the side.

Comment

• RanchoStarvo
      RanchoStarvo commented
      Editing a comment
      Arteries beware!

• jgreen
      jgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. Got to try that sauce. Sounds great!

I'm not up to the same level as these guys. I cut shallow diagonals on the surface, rub it with crushed fresh garlic, then salt and pepper. Works for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here