Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry brining steaks with Lawrys SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry brining steaks with Lawrys SS

I usually use the tried and true - kosher salt to dry brine my steaks for 2 days.Has anyone tried lawrys ss.i know it has a combo of other spices and salt.Probably less true salt you might need,but i like trying new things.Thinking it might not do the same as all kosher but it might add other flavors.Thoughts?

Doesn't sound like an experiment that could go much wrong. I'd try it.

Comment

Let us know what you think when you are done.

Comment

Try it on one steak - you might discover something you really like.

Comment

Wasn't Lowreys Seasond Salt originally a steak seasoning?

Comment

I love using Lawery's for burgers. Great stuff.

Comment

Should work fine... The salt will penetrate the meat but the other spices will pretty much just stay on the surface. If you brine with kosher salt then add the seasoned salt later, you run the risk of over-salting.

Comment

I have had good results using it for a dry brine on just about everything. Just be careful not to over do it as it is easy to over salt, especially if you have become accustomed to using kosher salt. I flubbed up once not thinking about what I was doing by sprinkling the seasoned salt with a restaurant type salt shaker and went a little overboard. Thankfully I caught it early, rinsed it off and started over...no harm, no foul and the fowl turned out wonderful.

Comment

Just for the sake of discussion, has anyone else used Morton's "Nature's Seasoning" in place of Lawry's? I like the flavor better and the salt concentration seems lower so much less likely to over salt.

Comment

Its day 4 of the dry brine.The other spices have stayed on the top while it appears the salt has done its job.Reverse searing tonite for dinner.i will post my outcome.thanks for the replys.Im a got to try kinda guy so i hope i didnt over do it.

Comment

Just to finish up my cook.They turned out great.Reverse sear(oven to 100 IT then pan sear to 135 ish).I enjoyed the taste of LSS.Its not something i might do everytime,but the flavor was good.Wasnt too strong eitherway.But my next cook after much debate will use mayonnaise as a base when i sear it.Saw it on the internet so it must be true.LOL.But ive read that some steakhouse chefs use a form of mayo to make a crusty bark.Thanks for everyones input.Now go try and not burn dinner.lol.....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here