Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grayish Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grayish Brisket

Howdy - I've been working on brisket for a while and think I'm finally figuring it out. My last three cooks have been good - probe tender and nice and juicy. But even though the texture was right, the color was off - kinda gray and unappealing. Prime brisket is hard to find in supermarkets near me so this was a Choice grade. Is this color due to the quality of meat or is it something to do with my cook? I'm wrapping in butcher paper at the stall, and then putting right in a cooler to rest when floppy (195-200). Should I let the brisket vent a bit first? Other ideas? Thanks!

Pictures would help us understand better what you're looking at. Sounds like you need bark and a smoke ring? What cooker are you using?

For bark, you need more time drying the surface. If I wrap (generally I don't), it's after the stall when I see really good bark (about 170-180F).

For the smoke ring, put the meat on cold and damp--straight out of the fridge. Some folks will spritz the meat periodically up to an IT of about 130F to help attract smoke and give the meat more time at lower temperatures.

Comment

do you mean on the exterior meaning you have no bark? you can help that by wrapping after the stall instead of when it starts. if you are talking about the interior do you mean you get no smoke ring? that may depend on your smoker. i've heard people with electric smokers don't have much of a smoke ring. the smoke ring is purely cosmetic. do you have smokey flavor? if that's the case i wouldn't worry about it. if it's that big of a concern you can rub a little bit of curing salt on to the meat to give you a "smoke ring". i've heard that advice before but i am unsure of amounts or time.

Comment

Thanks DeusDingo - I'm referring to interior of the brisket. The bark has been good and the flavor nice n' smokey. I'm cooking on a big offset smoker with oak and cherry.

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoker.jpg Views:	1 Size:	745.0 KB ID:	368351

Comment

I don't have a real good picture of the interior, but here's an overhead view (bottom center is brisket)

Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	368353

Comment

ah, well then, like kmhfive states put the brisket in cold and damp so it can absorb as much smoke as possible early in

Comment

Nice pictures! I'm not a stick-burner guy, so I couldn't give specifics about your setup. However, in general, the myoglobin will react with carbon monoxide and nitrates from the smoke to "fix" the reddish-pink smoke ring only up to somewhere in the neighborhood of 130F. So, the longer the meat is kept below that temperature the more chance the smoke will react in the way you want. The other side of it is to manage your fire so that it produces the optimal smoke and that's a topic for someone with stick-burning experience.

Comment

Great - thanks everyone for your replies!

Comment

there are many ways to get the smoke ring, curing salts, celery, a good smoke, but I have had meat that had ZERO smoke ring and still was good and smokey. it is a cosmetic badge of honor.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here