Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This should be fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This should be fun...

I've got an old Weber 22 -- the one with the three separate 4-hole vents on the bottom. I've got a chuckie on right now, and it's a challenge adjusting these separate vents to get the temps I want. They're steady (thanks SnS), but I'm still not completely dialed in with the vents. We'll see how today goes. Right now looks like I'm leveling off at about 195 pit temp, so its' time to open up a bit more. Anybody got some experience with the older vent arrangement?

Next you;ll be wantin' a tv with no remote. Have fun.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I was married, but no kids when we got our first tv with remote. You could flip between all the channels very fast - all three of them.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Da' had one of th' earliest remotes; he'd smack me upside th' head, an' beller "Put it over onto th' football game, Boy!"
      3 channels, also...on a good day. Depent on aluminium foil, sometimes...
      KMBC, KCMO, WDAF
      Oh, well, at least we had monaural AM radio to enjoy....

Is the top vent wide open?

I guess if I were setting it up, I'd position the SnS so that it was more or less directly opposed to one of the three bottom vents. I'd close the other two and open the opposite one full. I'd also open the top vent full.

After the charcoal coal is set, close the one bottom vent to about 1/2 and then try to adjust using just the top.

Comment

The day is still warming up. Cooker's now in the sun, so I'm starting to shut back down. I have the bottom vents at about 2/3 open and the top about 95% open. I'm gonna close the top slightly since I'm hovering about 265 pit temp or so. I'm looking for 250 for now. I've got the SnS over the two bottom vents, with the remaining single one under the meat. Learning a lot from this cook. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Sounds like an adventure!

Comment

Internet's been down out here in the sticks. Pics and report later.

Comment

OK, here's a photo. I learned a lot about the old Weber's vents and how they react. It all came out pretty good. I even was able to use the cooker for holding the meat for rest -- just dialed down the vents to reduce the temp in the cooker. Interesting that this chuckie didn't stall until after I wrapped it. At least it kept climbing. I wrapped at about 180 IT and the bark was good and solid. I'm thinking, though, that we like the bark a bit less chewy. I'll wrap sooner next time. Since this was my first low and slow on the Weber with SnS, I guess I can call it a success if I'm nit-picking about bark formation! Thanks for the advice and comments, everyone.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20170823 chuckie 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	368450

Comment

Looks like it turned out great! Learning is half the fun!

Comment

any pics of the old kettle?

Comment

Beautiful! Knew you could do it.

Comment

Thanks to all. Mudkat here's some pics of the old Weber. Not pretty, but very functional.

Name:	20170825_120827.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	368875

Name:	20170825_120741.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	368876

Comment

Absolutely functional! I cooked on one of those for years!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here