Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Back Ribs Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Back Ribs Advice

I have been asked to do beef ribs for my step daughter's boyfriend who is Muslim so avoids pork. I have only done them sous vide for 24 hours and grilled them off and they were good. But I'd like to do then in the smoker and am looking for suggestions on rubs, time and temp, sauce, etc. All thoughts welcome. Thanks.

My personal way is to treat them the same as shorties- like little briskets. I trim any exterior fat & silverskin though. Dry brine and beef rub of your liking (BBBR is my general preference, you get the idea) and then smoke for I want to say roughly 5hrs, maybe 3 or 4 or 6. I like to put a temp probe in them and take them to my favorite 170-180 IT then wrap (after the stall), then to 195+, then faux cambro ~2hrs. Same process as brisket just much quicker.

As for sauce, I personally haven't' found a sauce that I can rave about with smoked beef so I usually go sauceless. But, Meathead's Texas Mop Sauce being very chili/cumin-like, and also his Change Your Life Rich Red Wine Sauce are both quite tasty and have met rave reviews from my dinner guests on brisket & beef ribs.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Huskee

• Gator Lau
      Gator Lau commented
      Editing a comment
      Your answer is making me hungry for beef ribs.... but I have too much other meat waiting its turn. Hopefully soon.

Never tried this cut. My gut tells me low-n-slow with S&P. Maybe a little garlic powder.

Comment

If you're going to put them on the smoker try to find meaty beef back ribs or find a nice butcher that will leave a little meat on there for you. Any beef rub will work great, for timing you should go with probe tenderness- 203 or higher, i dont sauce just wrap with some beef broth. Beef short ribs are also excellent on the smoker!

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I've done chuck shorties by the rack, but really want to give the back ribs a go.

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        back ribs are great! Cook them like spares without the sweetness and you'll be happy!

Thanks for the responses. Keep 'em coming. I will report back after I do them (about 2 weeks.) I am thinking of using my Rum Molasses Sauce which Maurader says is really good on beef.

Comment

I cook almost the same as Huskee except I don't wrap after the stall when bark is good. My last 3 cooks were 4-bone racks (about 1.2 to 1.4 lbs), above 225 and closer to 250, and all ran about 4.5 hours. I faux cambro for at least 1 hour. Here's a photo of my favorite ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2174.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	362562

Name:	IMG_2201.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	362561

Name:	IMG_2205.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	362563

Comment

fuzzydaddy those look delicious! I may have to reassess. I thought I didn't like beef back ribs bc the only time i'd had em was when I smoked the bones from my prime rib. I guess if I buy them specifically for ribs then I can get a little more meat on them.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          I like that there's a good bark-to-meat ratio. I have a local store that sells them for $3.22 lb.

I like "earthy" flavors for my beef rubs. I use Salt, Pepper corns, Garlic powder, Chili Powder, dried porcini mushrooms and beef bouillon crystals and a touch of sugar. Put everything thru a spice grinder and apply it pretty heavy. IMO it really makes the beef shine.

Comment

Plenty of advice from forum members already. I don't wrap beef ribs either. They turn out best going unwrapped all the way in my opinion.

Comment

I follow Meathead's recipe exactly. Dry brine the night before, Big bad beef rub, smoker at 225 until ribs are 203. No texas crutch. I find a thicker slab takes 8-10 hours. I serve sauce less but some guests like to dip in KC Masterpiece.

Create delicious Brontosaurus sized beef ribs at home with this tested smoked Texas beef rib recipe. Whether it is meaty beef short ribs or the more flavorful beef back ribs, the key to successfully replicating this Texas BBQ classic is cooking them low and slow over live fire with just the perfect touch of smoke.

I would definitely suggest using short or plate ribs and make sure that there is some real meat on the bone At least an inch or two.

Past Success:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7527.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	362928Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6282.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.95 MB ID:	362929Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7061.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.70 MB ID:	362930Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7493.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	362932Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7522.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	362933Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7529.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.89 MB ID:	362931

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Those are beautiful!

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Those are gorgeous, indeed. As I said, I have done short rib plates with good success, but this time I am definitely doing back ribs. Thanks.

• adamjs83
              adamjs83 commented
              Editing a comment
              Dewesq55 Let us know what your experience is with the back ribs, I somehow missed that in the subject line. I have had trouble finding any with enough meat on the bone to make it really worthwhile.

I love beef back ribs. Dry brine the day before, rub with BBBR and smoke over oak or mesquite at 225. After 3 hours crutch for 1-1.5 hours with a splash of beef broth in the foil. Remove the foil and smoke at 225 for an additional hour to firm up the bark. When it is probe tender all the way through between the bones, it is done. Don't sauce.

Comment

Dewesq55 How did the back ribs turn out? Doing some tomorrow

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                That was 3 years ago so I have no specific recollection. But I have made them since and they have been will received.

For me personally you can't beat beef ribs out of a pressure cooker.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here