Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally got to the grill - brisket(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got to the grill - brisket(s)

Bought a seriously nice 12 lbs. brisket. As it turned out, it was bigger than what I wanted to cook so I cut it into 3 briskets.

I did one with just salt and pepper (Baltimore pit style) and the other with a rub that I made up. I keep the rubs light because I like to taste the meat - not just the spices. The third - in the freezer for another day.

Cook time was about 8 hours. The iGrill thermometer has been updated with a new program and in the process has eliminated the chart feature. I used this for putting in wood. They also eliminated the battery level of the sensor unit - looking for a new thermometer, the one on here is nice and may put into the budget for later. As a result, my temp swings were exaggerated but it still worked out.

I don't have pics of them sliced up, that was the next day after they were in the fridge overnight. These things were so tender, they almost fell apart getting them off the grill. I use a real meat slicer and the meat has to have some firmness.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0429.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	362371Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	362372Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	362370Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	362373

Beautiful!

Comment

Gorgeous briskets! Is that a fire blanket over the firebox to insulate somehow?

Comment

Yes - $14 welding blanket from Amazon. The metal on this "smoker/grill" is so thin that I loose a lot of heat and maintaining the temps I want is difficult. The blanket takes care of that. In the temp swings, the fire box got so hot that it roasted the wood handle on the fire box lid but on the smoker side, did not get over 310 (F). I also sealed the lid to keep the heat in (other post).

Thanks

Comment

Wonderful bark.

Comment

They look tasty to me.

Comment

dbray45 excellent looking cook. I use the same welding blanket on my wsm 22 during the cold months and wrap it around fastened with heavy duty clips. Keeps temps rock solid.

Comment

Many thanks

Comment

It has been a long couple of months. I am transitioning to retirement and moving at the same time. The grill/smoker is now gone and I have a few months before I get to the new place and get a new grill and smoker. All of this depends upon what my current house sells for and what the addition to my retirement home costs. If all goes well, a Yoder Durango is possible, if not, it is not. Either way, it is going to be several months before anything gets going.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Best of luck. I can anticipate the pain!

First words, "Oh man". Really good lookin.

Comment

All barked up nice! Great looking cook!

Comment

On the other hand, congratulations on retiring. More time for the good stuff!

Comment

Yowzer! Very nice!!

Comment

Yea good luck. If I had a choice between my grills and my kids....well I don't want to disclose the answer for fear of incrimination!!!

Good luck to you, hope you and Yoder become vast friends once again !!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here