Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas-Style Revelation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas-Style Revelation

I'll just put it right out there: I have never been overly impressed with brisket. It's okay, and there's one joint in town where I like it all right, but even at its best it plays second or maybe even third fiddle to pork. Keep in mind, I'm talking specifically about the more traditional barbecue and not grilling. I love burgers and steaks. That's how I generally go about inhaling beef. Brisket though? Meh. Beef ribs? Again, I've had some good ones but generally spent the meal wondering, "Why did I get these instead of pork ribs?"

And it's not the sweet sauces that make pork for me either. I generally get my pork ribs without sauce and the sauces I prefer on my pulled pork are the vinegar types (e.g. the Lexington Dip). The holy barbecue trinity for me is pulled pork, creamy coleslaw, and a vinegar sauce all mixed together. It is the yardstick of barbecue joints for me.

With that said, when I was first checking out Adrenaline Barbecue's site, I noticed a curious guide for "pulled beef." In the video there is implication that perhaps it is even better than brisket! Anyway, why not give beef another shot? I've made one mediocre brisket that was really my first low'n slow cook and it was mediocre because I made a ton of mistakes and ran out of patience.

I get most of my beef 1/4 cow at a time so a lot of my cooks are dictated by what's in the freezer rather than whatever I feel like picking up from the butcher or the store. In this case I have a bunch of "shoulder roasts." Are they chuck? I have no idea. Also, by beef is grass fed, so it generally has a bit of a different flavor profile and the fat tends to be trickier to work with. I'm just making a point that I'm in no way working with some fine prime chuck roast.

This particular cook was nothing new or magical to me. It's my typical sous-vide-que. However, I'll give a quick breakdown below since I don't want to be redundant:
    1. Sous-vide the beef at 165ºF for around 14 hours.
    2. Chill the beef in the bags.
    3. Remove the beef from the bags once cold and salt. (Ideally this is done the day before the slow cook, but today it was done like 2 hours in advance.)
    4. When ready, fire up the grill in a two-zone configuration and aim for 225ºF.
    5. Paint the beef (which is usually dry on the surface at this point) with a bit of avocado oil, and give it a healthy coat of Big Bad Beef Rub.*
    6. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 180º or so. (This is not all that exact. Bringing it back up took 5-6 hours. When I do low'n slow cooks after sous-vide that are more "traditional" barbecue I tend to aim for 10-15ºF higher that whatever I did in sous-vide.)
    7. Remove, chop (as per Dave's recommendation), and dip in Texas Mop Sauce.
    * Also as per Adrenaline Barbecue's advice, I added cumin.

First off, Texas Mop Sauce is amazing. I followed the recipe to the letter with the exception of the green pepper because I forgot to get one. Still an excellent sauce. I even made fresh beef broth from my steak bones and included the purge from these roasts. That sauce will probably vanish as quickly as my Lexington Dip.

Now, the beef. Good lord man. While one of the two roasts came out a little dry—it lacked enough fat and was a little smaller—the other one was unbelievable. The fat was buttery creamy and the meat was tender and just plain delicious. I have never, in my life, had beef like that. The best part is that any dryness in the other roast was easily made up for with the mop sauce. My kids even really liked the end result, which is saying something!

If this is even close to what Texas-style barbecue is all about, I take everything I ever said back. Seriously! Looks like the brisket from my cow is a point (it was a flat last time) so I'm gonna give it another whirl pretty soon. (That might be how I break in a thermostat when I get one.)

If you've never cooked chuck/shoulder roasts in this style, I strongly recommend it. I don't think I am going to be eating the remaining shoulder roasts in my freezer any other way.

A note about the pictures: There's no smoke ring so far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure it's because the beef was cooked to 165ºF ahead of time. If I wanted a smoke ring I could have cooked the beef at something more like 131-140ºF for much longer in the first step, but I made the decision to cook this Saturday afternoon. I'm gonna mess with a 72-hour cook on short ribs sometime soon I think.

Anyway, another excellent meal. Thanks everyone who's helped me out!
    Attached Files

Nice work! When high quality meat is used, and it's smoked to juicy perfection, personally I think smoked beef cannot be beat. The salty, gelatinous beef fat is just heaven. I feel about pulled pork the way you do about typical beef- it's second or third fiddle to beef in my book!

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Being from Texas its should be no surprise but I agree with you Huskee Beef Brisket is my Favorite! Chuckies 2nd and Ribs (ST Louis) are my 3rd.

Beautiful!

Comment

Put that bad boy in the smoker frozen, after dry brining and seasoning fresh. Smoke ring that will make women want you and cattle tremble at the mention of your name.

I hadn't yet learned how to cook this to pullable when I did this one, but here is the sliced version:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20161008_170808.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	362237
      Last edited by Steve R.; August 13, 2017, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• binarypaladin
        binarypaladin commented
        Editing a comment
        Prettier than mine! The ring sure makes a difference in visual appeal, that's for sure.

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Great Bark wonderful smoke ring Dang good looking meat you have there (although I suspect its had its probably all gone Yum)

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        You've got me wanting to dry brine and freeze a chuckie now...

Nice...

Personal preference is personal preference.... and I can guarantee you aren't the only person that would prefer a well cooked roast over a brisket.... I like brisket every once in awhile but on a regular basis would prefer the roast...

Comment

Nice cook. Congratulations!

Comment

Looks fantastic, juicy, tender, an' delicious!
        Chuckies rule over brisket, here in my world....

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I love both, and they are both great in their own way. Chuckie wins based on value and versatility.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, I love both...I cook chuckies more often...

Nice! Pulled beef is seriously good stuff.

Comment

Steve R. I could swear something I read or heard from Dr. Blonder said that once meat hits a certain temp, you can't get a smoke ring anymore, so it I sous-vide too high, I'm kinda stuck. (I think he said it was somewhere between 160-185ºF depending on the animal.)

However, do you sous-vide, season, then freeze? Or do you just season then freeze? I guess if I'm doing a low'n slow cook the puncturing from freezing is meaningless anyway. And, heck... it would be pretty awesome to have a few cuts completely frozen that I could simply heat up weeks later. Since I plan on grabbing a thermostat, the prospect of tossing a hunk of of meat on the grill early in the morning and having fresh barbecue when I come home is pretty enticing.

Huskee ​​​​I may be inclined to agree actually. I mentioned my holy trinity above, but there were plenty of chunks of this beef I could do without sauce or slaw and be totally dazzled by, especially the fat. (Although man, that mop sauce is heavenly. It's so good with beef.) Anyway, as far as the meat standing without sauce, it's a tight race between pork ribs and beef roast now. It's probably going to depend on mood.

I'm glad to see there is a lot of love for slow cooked chuck roasts. This is seriously a revelation. And the best part? This is only my first go!
          Last edited by binarypaladin; August 13, 2017, 11:31 PM. Reason: Added comment to Huskee since it was too long to fit as a comment.

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            No sous vide here, I haven't quite felt the urge to go there. I buy 2 or 3 at a time when they're on sale, brine and rub them all and cook the 1 or 2 that I will be using right away and freeze the rest. No thawing is then required with this method.

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            I guess to answer your question, I should say that yes, I just dry brine and season, then wrap tightly in a couple of layers of plastic wrap and put it in the freezer instead of the smoker at that point.

One more thing, is this just a backyard barbecue thing? I don't know that I have ever hit a barbecue joint up with something like this on the menu. In general I see:
          • Pulled Pork
          • Pork Ribs
          • Brisket
          • Chicken
          • Hot Links
          • Beef Ribs
          I would say in terms of popularity, that's what's on the menus. It might be the fact that here in Las Vegas a lot of barbecue is chains (Famous Dave's is everywhere now) but even the smaller places I've frequented tend to have the above listed meats. If I were, say, driving through Texas would I see something like this on a menu more frequently?

They don't use chuck roasts at most competitions, do they?

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Place that opened near us in June has a "beef" sandwich that's very good, and is effectively pulled chuck roast. That would be the "Dipped Beef" sandwich on the menu http://www.tstbbq.com/menu .

binarypaladin I believe it is true that most of the time the best BBQ is in someone's backyard. I do like Boston Butt better than Brisket. There a few joints in Texas that defy the best brisket or Beef ribs are in someone's back yard, but I can't say the same about pulled pork. I've eaten a quite a few top rated BBQ joints across the country, and the pulled pork always comes up short. Most of the time the brisket is just okay, but there are a few exceptions where the brisket or beef ribs are off the charts. I think over the long haul you will be happier staying in your own backyard. Just keep on cooking, and everything will get better and better. Have fun.

Comment

I've been wanting to try to do pulled beef since I watched this video on smoking beef clod. Check out ~10:20 mark for how easily it pulls and how juicy it looks. He injected a ton of broth in it and mopped it a lot as well, so I'm sure that helped.

Comment

I wasn't big on brisket until I moved to Texas. Since then I've learned that all BBQ is good if it's cooked right ;-)

Comment

I'm betting you will love the brisket point!

Comment

i love it when people discover pulled beef for the first time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here