Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Say What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say What?

Did anyone hear about a "missing muscle group" that was once included in a prime rib? I was told by my butcher that it was referred to as a "cap steak," and he says he hasn't see on in quite a while. But methinks he is mistaken. I don't think he understands that you can separate the longissimus dorsi from the spinalis dorsi and that is what I call the cap steak. I cook it up all by itself, usually using a skewer to hold it folded in half, in order to get it thick enough to reverse sear. And the "eye" of the Ribeye is what is left. And that is what it is called, the "Eye of the Ribeye." If you don't separate the two, then I guess it's what's known as a Ribeye.

Of course, it may be just my terminology that is off, and that wouldn't surprise me.

Am I making any sense here?

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL

Very cool.
    Did not know above, previous, like.

Comment

I would agree. To me the Cap is the most delicious part of a Ribeye. But as you can plainly see in this pic below, they didn't even label the MOST OF ALL DELICIOUS PARTS!! This is the part I gravitate to instantly on a Ribeye steak, and the fattier the better!

Click image for larger version

Name:	wkZ2Fldl.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	359934

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        That was just about the best pic I've seen. Couldn't explain it better. Thanks!

• dtassinari
        dtassinari commented
        Editing a comment
        The ribeye cap is by far my favourite too. I always volunteer to trade my eye of rib for someone else's cap... My friends don't fall for it any more

And is that item in the upper right corner of the picture what is known as the lip? I do believe it is. Great! I feel some how vindicated! I'm saving that picture for reference.

Mr. Bones, we're both doing some learning here!

And thank YOU, Lonnie Mac.

Mike S.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Salt and flame 🔥 and Bobs your uncle! Yes sir. It's also the part on the "lower right" of the upper left steak. You got it!!

Brother that is officially known as the "Lonnie Mac" steak!

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Love it brother. From now on I will refer to this cut as
        "The Lonnie Mac" steak. I'm on board with making this the official name worldwide.

Spinalis Dorsi. The greatest cut on a steer. No question.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I got your back on that one. All it needs is a splash oh heat any way you can think of.

Costco sales the caps separately. Pretty expensive

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty awesome.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        My Costco does at 13.99 which is 2 buckets more per lb then the ribeye.

Gotta go get me some Lonnie Mac steaks! Mmmmm

Comment

What I did was to go out and buy a whole prime rib. Out of that, I got 8 eye of ribeye's plus 3 more smaller steaks, enough cap steak material to piece together 4 good-sized steaks that will be thick enough for a reversed sear, and I even recovered enough of that lip to make a small-sized meatloaf looking thing that I'll probably use for Kabob's. Also picked up a pair of 5 lb Boston Butts, and a couple of lbs of ground chuck roast. The later was supposed to have enough fat added to make some steakhouse burgers, but the guy failed on that job, no where near enough fat to make up a 70/30 mix. We will have to have a little talk about that. Might just get a chuck steak and some hand-full of bacon fat. . . Yes, that does sound good!

Got to go back on Friday to pick up the pork belly for the bacon and I'll try to remember to pick up some pork spare ribs, too.

Got to get busy!

Mike S.

Comment

• dtassinari
          dtassinari commented
          Editing a comment
          If you saved the trim from the whole prime rib you can always grind it and add it to the burgers...

I was totally ignorant to this until a friend took me to The Butcher and Boar in Minneapolis. Apparently few restaurants serve this cut. It was transcendent!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on the Butcher and the Boar.

Can't believe I forgot to add the very first thing I removed from that prime rib. And that was the ribs, themselves!

I've already forgotten just how many ribs that was, which tells you something about my current ability to retain numbers, but I'm sure it was between 7 and 9. (Or not.) But those ribs are going to be really good! I'm thinking "Cow Crust."

Not only did I save the Lip, I actually painstakingly removed most all the fat from it, which didn't leave much, except when you take in the fact that it was from a whole prime rib. That's how I wound up with what I termed as a "small meatloaf" pile of leftovers. Now I wish I had saved it intact to add to the hamburger. I'll do better, next time.

Mike S.
        Last edited by (Mike S.); August 10, 2017, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Mike99 S., You'll have to get some lonnie mac "Geeter Music" for Your Girlfriend when You serve the "Lonnie Mac" Steak! You'll be the "Coolest Dude"on the Block! 👍👍👍👍👍
          Great Post, Mike! Thanks to You and the Others for Learning Me Something!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here