Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explaining brisket to a Catalan Butcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explaining brisket to a Catalan Butcher

Hi Everyone,
    I need some help with explaining to a Catalan butcher what a brisket cut is. I live in Barcelona, Spain, and butchers here have totally different terms and cuts for parts of the cow. My butcher is super helpful and has tried a number of times to make me a brisket and has even brought out 1/2 cow and butchered the cut in front of me to try and get it right. It was a lot of fun and great to watch. Our little system has been good, but it's not exactly spot on.

We've worked out that I am going to try and get a good description of what a brisket cut is in English and then have a friend translate it to Catalan (therefore I can't use any technical terms). Catalan is the local language of Barcelona and is my butchers preferred language. We talk together in Spanish, but since all the terms are different, we are going to shoot for Catalan for the explanation as it is also easier for him and his staff. btw, he doesn't speak English and so he couldn't really find a good explanation of it himself.

I know there is some explanation of the cut on the website, but since I need to take it to another level as I am trying to explain it to a butcher who has never made the cut before, I thought I would expand it and double check before posting.

Here is what I was thinking of writing. I'm going to include some diagrams/ pictures to help him. Any thoughts/ feedback would be great!
    ------
    Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast of the cow. The brisket muscles include the superficial and deep pectorals and contains two different muscles, the point (fatter) and the flat (leaner). There are no bones in the cut.

The muscles are separated by a thick, white seam of fat. The meat of the Point actually has its own separate grain that is different from the Flat’s grain and run almost perpendicular to each another.

There are 3 parts of the meat:
    The Flat: It is a flat, rectangular piece of meat that makes up the majority of the whole brisket. It has less fat than the point. From an anatomical perspective, the Flat is the "deepest" portion of meat and is attached to the rib cage
    The Point: This is the part of the brisket that has the most fat on it. It has a more marbled look. The Point is a lump of meat that partially overlaps one end of the Flat. It is quite fatty on its surface as well as within the meat. It also contains a lot of connective tissue between the meat fibers. The Point sits on top of the Flat and is nearest the surface.
    The Fat-Cap: One side of the brisket will be covered in a ‘fat cap’, a large layer of fat that sits on top of the Point.

The Flat and Point are separated by a very thick vein of fat running between them. This fat extends over the entire surface of the Flat, becoming thinner at the end opposite the Point. Thick fat may also wrap around one edge of the Flat, especially near the Point.

The hard fat and intercostal meat on the inside surface shall be removed at the natural seam exposing the lean surface of the deep pectoral muscle. The inside lean surface shall be trimmed practically free of fat." The word "intercostal" refers to meat between the rib bones.

http://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/120-beef-b...-off-boneless/ May be some helpful info here...

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Translating from human anatomy, I've always thought that the point was the pectoralis minor and the flat the pectoralis major. I get the idea from your link that I have been mistaken. Help.

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Major & minor vs. superficial & deep pectorals. I hated comparative anatomy, but maybe it has its place...

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      So, it would seem that the bovine superficial (major) or point is smaller than the deep (minor). That is just the reverse of humans. Either that, or the way a brisket is butchered just makes it appear that way when it gets to the market meat case. Hmmm.

Here's a video that shows how to remove the brisket. The brisket removal starts at the 12:50 mark. Hopefully your friend can translate as the butcher is removing the brisket.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. This video must be worth a bazillion.

Comment

I've got an Argentine butcher. I'll ask him how he'd ask for it.

Comment

I have a Catalan friend I will see if he knows anything

Comment

Another thing is you might try showing him some pictures. My wife's family only speaks Spanish and my Spanish is rough so sometimes when left alone with no translator pictures help a lot in terms of communication.

Comment

My friend came back with an answer. He says it is called Pit which translates into Breast. He also gave me link that might help out. The link worked on my phone but not on my computer but that might be cause I am on my company VPN.

Comment

I know i didn't ask the question but i am pretty impressed with how much this community is able to help in this particular case.

Comment

Another great example of why this is the BEST BBQ forum around!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I've used this butcher a few times, and we are already 90% of the way there on brisket, but he's been trying to get it 100% of what I want. We've had problems with the amount of fat and exactly what should be included/ excluded. I think there is some pride in being able to do it. Personally I think he loves pulling out 1/2 cow when there is a crowd in front of his stand and carving out a brisket as a "special order". Last time a dad lift his kid up so he could watch the butcher work.

Thanks everyone for the links. I'm going to give it some tweaks before I translate it (and add some photos too!).

This was the burning question that actually pushed me over the edge of joining up, so really glad to see the amount of responses!

thanks everyone!

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
                    BriggsBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is awesome. I wish I could find and affordable butcher like that in US. The fat cap I think it a matter of choice. I trim mine 1/4 in to 1/2 in.I would say the main thing is making sure you get the fat of the overlapping muscles where you get true burnt ends from.

I just found another video, they cut out the brisket at around 2:20-2:30 minutes in. Don't know if that adds any new info.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here