Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Smoke Profile - Why Can't I Smell or Taste It ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Smoke Profile - Why Can't I Smell or Taste It ...

I've long accused myself of having an indistinct palate but I'm really noticing it recently with my brisket using CookinPellets pellet blend. I'm really not noticing the smoke profile both via smell and taste, and during the cook and eating. Everyone else gushes over the taste, and the look, and the texture. But I just don't notice the smell or taste. I've tried different pellets and have noticed more umph in the smoke and taste, but I also know those come with a lot of fillers too. I know that the blend is designed for a nice smoothing out of the flavors but it almost becomes void for me. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sounds like it's just the naturally milder smoke from pellets to begin with, then the particular ones you're using are milder still. If the ones with fillers & such taste better- I say use them!

Comment

Or you could add specific Smoke pellets using an A-Mazen tube. I've tested mine in my GMG while it was running at 325F. There was definitely more smoke using the tube.

Comment

Originally posted by kmhfive View Post
        Or you could add specific Smoke pellets using an A-Mazen tube. I've tested mine in my GMG while it was running at 325F. There was definitely more smoke using the tube.
        I have an Amazin tube that I used to use with my old junky Traeger. I don't think it's the lack of smoke because everyone else notices the smoke. And really likes it. But for me, I almost can't taste it. This is not the case with other cuts or poultry. I've just really been noticing it with my brisket and the CookinPellets blend. I may try the CookinPellets hickory next time.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe you're being overcome by the "hanging around all day at the cooker" effect? I guess comparing with a pork butt would tell whether that's the case.

EdF brings up a good point too, it may not be 100% of the problem but it surely plays some part. I call it BSO (BBQ Sensory Overload) and Spinaker calls it TSI (Total Smoke Immersion)-- the lack of sensitivity to or desire for the smoke flavor at dinner when you've been smoking all day.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          This - also why it's a fact that a sandwich tastes better when someone else makes it. When you've spent all day smoking (or cooking) you're not as sensitive to the aroma of the food, and sense of smell is a huge part of flavor.

Maybe try the straight hickory in the tube? I do it that way and it's plenty potent. I'm using a Rec Tec and gmg gold medal blend in the hopper but I think our setups are pretty similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
          EdF brings up a good point too, it may not be 100% of the problem but it surely plays some part. I call it BSO (BBQ Sensory Overload) and Spinaker calls it TSI (Total Smoke Immersion)-- the lack of sensitivity to or desire for the smoke flavor at dinner when you've been smoking all day.
          Yeah, I think that is part of it.

Comment

Classic TSI! OR get a stick burner!

Comment

Or maybe beef just masks the smoke to your palate? Do you have the same problem with other beef? Beef ribs or chuck roast?

Comment

Everyone's olfactory sense is a little different. My wife had a cold early in the year and she is just starting to get her sense of smell back.
                Last edited by BigJoe; August 7, 2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCGrill View Post
                  Or maybe beef just masks the smoke to your palate? Do you have the same problem with other beef? Beef ribs or chuck roast?
                  I definitely sense it in Beef Ribs. But I think it may also be pellet blend dependent. I'm going to try out some other pellets. Any recommendations other than CookinPellets?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here