Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokey Sunday..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokey Sunday..

New experiment..
    Attached Files

Should be a real good test! Did you ever find boiling water?

Comment

Looks like a promising start, Amigo!
      What are th' dikes fer?
      Jus' curious...

Comment

• FlaBouy
        FlaBouy commented
        Editing a comment
        SmoBot uses due diligence when shipping thermo probes... I suspect they are all guilty of kidnapping in their former lives because they use more tie wraps than McGyver. Carry on.

• FlaBouy
        FlaBouy commented
        Editing a comment
        BTW.. when I first saw how many probes were in that pic I imagined this was the ER and I started giving last rites to da meat...

LOL... no sir. I have three seperate thermocouple controllers I am bouncing this off of. You will note in the pic, I am running my standard bi-metal damper and just watching Grill/Food Thermo's against my standard cook using the ThermPro controller. My next smoke I will do the same thing except use the RecTEC and it's controller for comparison. I also have a set of thermo leads for my Fluke that I will introduce at one point. The problem with the boiling water theory is that is a static temp. It doesn't mimic the variables of a smoke chamber where open lids, windy days, etc impact the temp variations on the grill. I have noted, and SmoBot has agreed on side bar that the algorithm they utilize right now has some serious dampening in it to smooth out the temp controls. The ThermoPro reacted more in real time whereas the SmoBot was playing slow pitch catch up but "showing" a smooth controlled graph. That in and of itself is not a serious issue and further testing against the RecTec and Kamado will flush that out. Meanwhile, the cook must go on...

Comment

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Good test, then! I understand the algorithm issue -- my GMG uses a similar smoothing function -- if you were to see my Fireboard graphs vs the built in controller. It works, though and my food is delicious!

Here is the start of the cook whereas I dumped charcoal, let the kettle come up to temp, made a Kentucky windage adjustment to the SmoBot setpoint, and then loaded down the grates. I made two smal tweaks to the Bi-Metal damper to level out the grate temps at 225'ish according to the ThermPro, which is how I have cooked in the past. Note that the controller setpoint is about 15* higher than where the ThermPro is tracking. We shall see how it reacts when I pull the lid for first spritzing. The temp differential in the food probes are typically only about 1* so the food temp loops appear to be solid. Carry on

Edit
      Food Probe 1 = Prime Rib Roast
      Food Probe 2 = Brisket Flat
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm just a cook. I have absolutely no idea what you just said. So if I have this right, you are comparing two meats or the rigs/thermostat meters. I'm allowed one dumb question a day, right?

Comment

• FlaBouy
          FlaBouy commented
          Editing a comment
          Nah, man.. it's solid. Before I introduce any new fangled contraptions into my cooks, I bounce them off known methods that I have been using for nearly 40 years. We are a long way down range from my old cinder block ground pit. Just working through a question I have on the grate thermo feedback.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you sir. I get it. Mostly.

A lil over an hour in... Tracks look pretty solid at this point considering the old cave man damper I am using... I suppose I should design a weber damper mount
        Attached Files

Comment

First peek....
          Attached Files

Comment

Opened lid at 12:03. Brisket has slipped into its stall..... Rib Roast getting close to Sear Time....
            Attached Files

Comment

Don't care what the SmoBot says.. this one is ready for reverse sear after it sits for a bit..
              Attached Files

Comment

• FlaBouy
                FlaBouy commented
                Editing a comment
                3 bone rib roast... 2 hours to 132* in the Performer at 225* ... the small brisket flat went into stall at the same time in the mid 150's according to the Smobot. I didn't have a second probe on the ThermPro for him.

• FlaBouy
                FlaBouy commented
                Editing a comment
                BTW.. I am letting chamber temps drift a lil higher to kick the brisket out of stall so I can wrap and wait. Carry on.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Great. My SmoBot is on its maiden voyage today too - some Chinatown style spares on the BGE. I haven't done the kind of comparison against other thermomers (I have an older Thermoworks jobbie), nor did I bother with food temps since it's ribs. Just wanted to get a sense for it. Doing well so far.

A lil home made salsa while we wait..
              Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                ¡Me gusta!

3 hours in... Chamber temp raised but brisket is still stalled..
              Attached Files

Comment

Time to wrap...
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a beautiful cook! Great test for the thermometer!

Comment

Money.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here