Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rainy day 'spearminting..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rainy day 'spearminting..

... replacement SmoBot reporting for duty.
    Attached Files

Ready for LiftOff!

Comment

It would appear at first blush that the algorithm in the SmoBot has some serious dampening in the feedback from the grill thermo. Removing the lid to add the skirt steak after the kettle came to temp indicated a drop from 225 down to 188* on the ThermPro, whereas the SmoBot only indicated a drop to 213*... meat internals tracking within 2* though. Lower Damper is opened 50% more than I would run nekkid. I will look more closely at the ramp back up to temp after I remove the lid for spritz. Carry on.

Comment

5 minutes after lid replaced... Temps balanced on both units prior to lid being removed.
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice test! Keep it coming.

Comment

• FlaBouy
            FlaBouy commented
            Editing a comment
            The skirt will be done before I am...

Roger that. You could let it go like lonnie mac 's WSCGC To see how long a run you can get with the controller also!

Comment

The setup.... Skirt pulled at 140*.. temps once lid replaced .
            Attached Files

Comment

No spearmint would be valid without a bunsen burner..
              Attached Files

Comment

I must destroy the evidence...
                Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have a pretty good idea of what your hiding was!

15 minutes after skirt was pulled
                Attached Files

Comment

Graph of short cook....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Initial impressions: A lot of unknowns at this point. I am using the more mature technology of the ThermPro as a "Baseline" but I have never questioned its calibration. I guess I could hook the thermo leads to my Fluke or hit the grate with an Infra red gun if I were really motivated; but for now, my gut assumption is that the algorithm in the SmoBot is conservative. I say that because the Thermpro is not concerned with a closed loop feedback that it must control, so they may be programmed a little more aggressive. Take that thought with a grain of salt. Secondly, I am not using the SmoBot as intended on my egg... I have it sat on my Performer with gaskets that for the most part, prevent leakage. This is verified by the smoke leakage, or lack thereof, from under the damper assembly. None of that would explain the disparity between the ThermPro feedback and the SmoBot. What that means is up for debate at this point. As we all know, a pit master knows the characteristics of his smoker. I have several, so I determine which I will use based on the current conditions and the nature of the cook. I wish the smobot had an adapter for the weber. I will design one before long, so that will not be an issue. In the meantime, I will learn how to cook with the SmoBot setup I have. The kettles are notorious for not having the best cook profile when it comes to holding consistent temps, but it is exactly why I invested into a temp controller. I trust my RecTec. I trust my Kamado. I actually trust the Weber within limits for small cooks. I want to trust it for long cooks... especially when I throw a $200 piece of beef on it prior to feeding anyone outside of my immediate family. With all that said, I have been smoking for 40+ years on about any contraption that will add hickory or pecan flavor to a piece of meat. This is a tool. I will master it and hopefully make it a better product with my feedback. Stand the fuck by. Meanwhile, I have evidence to get rid of. Carry on.

Comment

1/2 hour after skirt was pulled
                      Attached Files

Comment

It would appear further testing is required...
                        Attached Files

Comment

As I sit here with one eye on the smobot graph and one on the weather radar, I have decided to make a run down to Publix in search of protein for my next spearment... a longer cook, but this time over on the Kamado and for a longer smoke. Stand by.

Comment

• FlaBouy
                            FlaBouy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Might I suggest a HULU subscription..😎

• EdF
                            EdF commented
                            Editing a comment
                            yok-yok-yok! ;-)

• FlaBouy
                            FlaBouy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Just a suggestion..

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here