Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's short ribs and back ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's short ribs and back ribs.

The short ribs had a corned beef flavor that I attribute it the dry brine. Otherwise, they were great. Am I right with this dry brine thinking? Started the short ribs at 11:30 and they were done at 5:30. Started the back ribs on the gasser and finished on the Weber. About 4 hours total for them.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1661.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	355238Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1659.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	355240Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1654.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	355239

I've never noticed different flavor from dry brining beef short ribs. I'll confess, I don't remember what corned beef tastes like, however. Love the extra moisture from dry brining, and moreover, the salt flavor all the way through the meat!

Comment

That shouldn't have anything to do with a regular salt brine, dry, wet or otherwise. Puzzling. Maybe the smoke choice together with the beef flavor gave that hint?

Comment

• NortheastAl
        NortheastAl commented
        Editing a comment
        I used Cherry, and not all that much.

Agree with Huskee and I think you need to try those short ribs again and have some local Pit members over to taste test.

Comment

• NortheastAl
        NortheastAl commented
        Editing a comment
        That's definitely the smartest thing for me to do.

They sure look good! I would think that a normal salt -- sodium chloride -- whether granulated, flaked, or kosher wouldn't add corned beef "flavor". Did you use a different chemical such as calcium chloride or sodium nitrite?

Comment

• NortheastAl
        NortheastAl commented
        Editing a comment
        No, just the kosher salt.

Spouse made a comment along these lines on the batch I did Sunday. I thought "kinda, sorta, maybe". The ribs were dry brined with Diamond flake overnight, about 18 hours. Something I've learned to do with that salt is use way more than looks reasonable. These ribs were well seasoned all the way through, but not (in my opinion) over salted. I think this can be one source of perceived corned beef like taste, as it seems most meat I've ever had tends to be under seasoned, with center kind of bland. Corned beef is the obvious exception. Beyond that, I noticed the smoke ring was only about 1/4" deep, but very intense. I know that current authority says smoke ring does not alter taste, only appearance, but ...

To get to the bottom of this, several hundred pounds of short ribs, multiple high volume smoking devices, multiple kegs of local micro-brews (with proper storage and dispensing gear), and a blue ribbon fact finding committee, need to converge. Now would be good. Happy to volunteer my back yard.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        No one expects the Amazing Ribs Inquisition!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I am available the day this is happening...

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Sign me up. I can bring some homebrew!

Need more testing. The result sure looks good though. I like corned beef anyway.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too, but I durn sure don't want my beef ribs to taste like like corned beef!!!

Beautiful!

Comment

This made me go out and pick up some beef ribs tonight. I had to get a steak anyway for the new Field Skillet, but I was looking at this posts when I was in the grocery waiting for the butcher! "Throw two of those beef ribs in too."

Good looking cook, sir! Thanks for the inspiration.

Comment

• NortheastAl
          NortheastAl commented
          Editing a comment
          Same inspiration I had for these when I saw a post the other day by Jerrod, I believe.

Those short ribs look great!! 6 hours? I wouldn't have guessed that long. Was the temp around 225?

Comment

• NortheastAl
          NortheastAl commented
          Editing a comment
          225°-230°

Those shorties look like soldiers at parade rest. Little tasty morsels of beefy goodness!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here