Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunday bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday bones

Finally got round to doing short ribs in the kettle. Picked up a 3 bone slab Saturday noon-ish. Trimmed, cut to onesy bones, dry brine, fridge overnight. Slow rendered down all the scraps to brown crunchy bits and fat. Dog was a happy girl!

Sunday morning fire up the kettle, dust with BBBR, into the kettle.

First time trying out the new Smoke. That thing is sure handy. Nice to be able to track pit and meat from indoors and a couple floors up.

Hit it once with the beef love around 2.5 hours. It was about 195 when I pulled them, 5.5 hours. Wrapped and faux cambro for 1.5 hours.

When I unwrapped, we had to "just have a taste". A few minutes latter, one rib down. We could eat these way more often than any sort of healthy.

Stuffed the SnS pretty full at the beginning, never had to reload. Seemed like it could have gone another hour easy.

Tip of the hat to AR, and the Pit. With that kind of guidance, hard to go wrong.

The evidence ...

Three bone slab
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170729_141139734.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	354841

Trimmed

Name:	IMG_20170729_143615443.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	354843

Cut and dusted

Name:	IMG_20170730_085015147.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	354839

Coming off

Name:	IMG_20170730_143810750.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	354840

Unwrapped

Name:	IMG_20170730_161330002.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	354838

Waiting (sort of) patiently

Name:	IMG_20170730_161358656.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	354837
    Attached Files

That is some kind of sweetness. Now I go to bed hungrier than what I was 35 seconds ago.

Comment

Looks great.

I did short ribs also yesterday. The SnS makes it very to control the temp.

Comment

• Bruce54
        Bruce54 commented
        Editing a comment
        SnS really does make it easy. The DnG takes it up another notch.

Wow those are awesome pictures. I'm one that likes the fatty cuts, so this is my kind of food.

Comment

Love it!

Comment

Nice...

Comment

Looks very tasty.

Comment

• Bruce54
              Bruce54 commented
              Editing a comment
              First time doing a long beef cook on the kettle. The bark was a near religious experience. ;-)

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I love beef, and great bark with some smoke takes it over the top.

Those were a great size. Nice cook

Comment

Beautiful. If done properly, and it looks like they were, short ribs are the bomb.

Comment

Wow! I'd eat that. Kinda like right now.

Comment

I have always struggled with beef short ribs. They always comes out with a little nugget of meat. While buying, I think I have some nice, thick short ribs, then once they cook down they are more like beef nuggets on the bone! Still good but not really what I am looking for. I need a good source of beef plate ribs!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spinaker Don't be afraid to try beef chuck ribs. I think they are every bit as good as plate ribs and meatier. I have to order them by the case but have no trouble getting them all used up.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good to know. I will have to see if I can get my hands on this stuff. Thanks! HorseDoctor

• Bruce54
                    Bruce54 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Know what you mean on that. I thought this set wasn't too bad, with only one of the three doing the vanishing meat trick. Pretty happy with the other two.

Your dog was thinking... I hope the door bell rings so these humans give me 5 seconds alone to grab that short rib.👅

Good cook.👌
                  Last edited by Breadhead; August 1, 2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Bruce54
                    Bruce54 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    For sure! Nothing more optimistic than a dog knowing the meat is "right there".

Great pics of a beautiful cook, an' a very (sort of) patient doggie!!!
                  Many thanks fer sharin'!

Comment

It's been way too long since I've cooked these. Thanks for the inspiration, I've GOT to cook some now.

Comment

• Bruce54
                      Bruce54 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Happy to be of service! It was other folks pix that set me to do these.

Nice work. I love both types of beef ribs. They're like little brisket candy bars!

Comment

• Bruce54
                      Bruce54 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Perfect description "little brisket candy bars".

• droopie69
                      droopie69 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've only made em once, but I would agree!!! Brisket butterfingers!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here