Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All ahead flank speed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All ahead flank speed...

Prequel for tomorrow...
    Attached Files

In the batters box...
    Attached Files

Comment

A little sauteed scallions and parmesan.
      Attached Files

Comment

Toss in some yellow onion and pepper..
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks good especially the bottle of Blanton's

Comment

• FlaBouy
            FlaBouy commented
            Editing a comment
            Blanton's is fer tomorrow... Some say that the hamster wheel has made another full revolution for me..

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Happy Birthday!!!!
            Many Happy Returns, Amigo!!!

Onion roll, fresh garden mater's and peppers.. horsey.. and some home made tater and egg salad.. easy peasey.
          Attached Files

Comment

That cooked and cut flank steak looks very impressive! Care to share your cook method for this?

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Comment

Senator Pig ... "Care to share your cook method for this?"... No problem. That's what its all about, brother.

Reach over in that cooler and grab us a couple of cold one's and pull up a chair.

Flank steak. I guess when it come's to preferences, the Flank steak ranks closely behind a nice medium rare prime rib or a center cut ribeye from a fresh smoked 4 bone roast. I was first introduced to the Flank steak in the summer of 1985.. I was just back from Beirut and pretty much out of control with most things in my life. I was in an open bar on the beach one night when this girl rode up on her hog and after parking it up front, not only walked into the bar, but into my life. I married her a year later. Why is this important? She introduced me to Flank steak.... or, at least her highly educated parents did.

Both her parents were retired Naval officers and after about a month or so of running with the pack, she took me over to meet them. Her dad was in an apron and had a cigar in one hand, a glass of bourbon in the other. This guy was the epitome of salty. We hit it off just fine and he took me over to the oven and introduced me to Flank steak. He explained that he heated an oven as hot as it would go and then oiled down a pan and salted out a flank.... he would toss the flank in just long enough to brown the outsides quickly, turning only once under a broiler.

He would then take the flank out and let it sit while beginning to sautee fresh cut scallions in a stick of real butter on low heat. He claimed he didn't want to hurt the scallions. After a few minutes in the butter bath, he would add a cup of Parmesan and cut the heat. After stirring it well, he would pull the pan and let it sit while he thinly sliced out the flank against the grain. Once sliced down, he would toss all the flank into the sautee and mix well, adding more Parmesan to taste. Once satisfied, it immediately went to plate and the rest was history.

That serving of Flank steak got my attention. I have spent 30 years or so tinkering with that recipe, but after thirty years, it still remains pretty bullet proof.

The only thing I do differently now, is use one of my various smokers or grills on my outdoor cook station to tinker... yesterday, I used my infrared grill with a knob of pecan to slowly bring the internals up using an indirect heat. My grill has had a bit of tinkering itself... I have a baffle system down between the burners so I can isolate the heat from one side to the other... I added a smoke daddy cold smoke kit to the back of the grill so I can infuse smoke into the cooking chamber... I also threw the stock 1/2" psi regulator away and added an adjustable 0-20 psi regulator with a pressure gauge so I can introduce proper searing temps across any of the 5 burners that I have zoned with the baffling.

After about a half hour of indirect heat and pecan smoke, I slid the grill grates over to the active burners and turned up the pressure to get a nice 4 minute reverse sear, turning every minute...

After resting for about 15 minutes while I prepped the sautee, I then thin sliced the flank and tossed it over into the sautee and added a few grilled yellow onion. The rest, they say... is history.

Oh... btw. That marriage didn't last... the flank just keeps improving with age.

Carry on.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Flank steak rules - and so does your method!

• (contractcooker)
                  (contractcooker) commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is an amazing recipe! Thank you!

Wow. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Love it! And there's another bourbon I will have to try. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the procedure.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here