Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First attempt with beef ribs and also with the SNS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First attempt with beef ribs and also with the SNS

The other weekend i tried my hand at smoking a couple racks of beef ribs with my new toy. They turned out OK mainly due to the quality of the meat, there was just way too much fat on some. The ribs that didn't have as much fat were excellent though. I used a combination of hickory and cherry wood for this with Maple Leaf charcoal briquettes.

This was about 4.5 hours in. It was really windy that day so my temp was all over the place. I would close the vents to try and dial it in to 225 but the coals would just die out, as soon as i opened them the temp the temp would keep climbing (guess i need more practice with this ) At this point i was getting worried about having these done in time for dinner so i opened the vents all the way and let it rocket to the the end.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	352758

Sorry about the quality on this one. This was right before i sauced them with a mix of Sweet Baby Rays and cherry coke (about an hour after the first pic.) The internal temp on the thickest part was in the 190s. I wrapped them after about 20 mins with the sauce and threw them into a cooler until the guests arrived (they were late so it they were in there for about 2 hours.)

Name:	IMG_0156.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	352759

Here's the finished product along with homemade cornbread and barbecued beans. The beans were definitely the star that night. I had some left over pulled pork in the freezer which i added just because.

Name:	IMG_0157.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	352756

Here's another picture that shows off the smoke ring.

Name:	IMG_0158.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	352757

Well that's my ribs. Next time i try beef ribs i think I'll go to a butcher and get a better cut.

-Dan

Boy they sure look great! I've never used that charcoal before so there may be some variance in my tips due to the differences there, but typically if you open your bottom vent to "a crack" which is about 1/8" or so, you can do most of the remaining adjustments with only the top vent. Stir the coals at about the 4-5hr mark to remove the ash and then sweep it out, (repeat that maybe every 1-2hrs after) and that will breathe new life into them and help you maintain steadier temps.

Keep up the awesome work!

Comment

• molzan
      molzan commented
      Editing a comment
      Its a charcoal from Quebec made primarily from maple trees. The aroma of it is incredible!

I did find that there was a lot of ash halfway through the cook. I'll try stirring the coals more often this on this next cook and see if that helps.

Sure looks like some good eating!

Comment

Your food looks damn tasty! Temp control on a Kettle w/SNS just takes practice. I was all over the place on my first few cooks. Dialed in pretty good now. You'll figure it out.

Comment

They look dang good from here!!!!
        Nice Job!!!

Comment

From the picture it sure looks great. Don't be too hard on yourself. Even the stuff we criticize to ourselves can be pretty darn good to others.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here