Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket tomorrow

I'm trying to figure out when to start the cook. Any insights appreciated.

My 2 questions are:

1) how long can you hold the meat at 160-170 in the bbq before it starts to dry out?

2) what is your best guess of cooking time so I can figure out when to start?

My setup - Weber gas grill, metal smoker tin. Will cook indirect at 225 as per Meatheads instructions with water tray.

The meat - 8lb hunk of point. It is rubbed and chilling in the fridge.

The method - cook to 150 and then wrap in tinfoil for the Texas crutch and put it back on the indirect side at 225.

Duration - Looking at Meatheads info, the cook time, 12 - 18 hours for a full brisket, 10 - 12 hours for a flat. Recommended to let it sit for 2-3 hours. (I realized these are just guidelines).

The 8lb cut looks like it would be more like a full brisket time length. The longest it should take is 18 hours (which allows no resting time) means I start at midnite at the latest.

At the opposite end, the risk is it cooks in 11 hours and I have to try and hold it for 7 hours???

Am I better to allow less time and turn up the heat to finish quicker if its a slow one? Or should I just plan to hold the meat for 6 or 7 hours if necessary??

Thanks

The longest it should take at that temp is 12hr but might be done around 8-10. Just depends on how much you look and how consistent you hold the temp.

Comment

I'd plan on ~ 14 hours total including the cambro. That way if it takes 12, you still have a 2 hour hold. If it takes 10 you will have a 4 hour hold and that will still be OK, but you might want to put it your oven at it's min temp which is normally around 170*.

If it looks like it's cooking to slow, you can always bump the temp to 250* - 275*. If you like bark and you have the time, I'd wait until the brisket reaches ~ 180* to wrap. That should produce great bark. However, if it's cooking too slow, wrapping will speed it up. If it's cooking too fast, you may not want to wrap it at all. The point should not dry out.

Comment

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Comment

A little late to this, sorry about that! I'd shoot for 14-hours before you want to eat. Honestly, if you hold in a Cambro/cooler tightly wrapped, 2-hours is the minimum time. It can go longer. I've held 4+ hours and had great Brisket!

Comment

So the brisket is done, sitting in the cambrio. It was jiggly and juicy when I put it in so I'm looking forward to carving it up in two hours.

This was my first successful smoke (I think).

Question - I used a tin can from Home Depot filled full with Hickory. When I opened it up after the cook it was still about half full of what looked like charcoal, not ashes. Is this the way it should be?

Thanks

Comment

Yes and where are the pics?

Comment

Hugh how long did the cook end up taking?

Comment

What cook? What ashes? What charcoal? What jiggly, juicy? What are we talking about here?

Comment

I just can not remember to take pics. Once I start feeding the gang I get too distracted.

I started at 5am and it was done by 2pm - 7 hours. I fell asleep for a few hours and my water pan went dry and the heat went up to 250 so I know why it was so quick. I pulled the meat at....well I had three thermometers in it and they were all at different temps. Temp ranged from 199 to 204.

The coleman cooler worked great. From 2pm to 6:30 and it was still over 150 internal. I'd say the 14 hour window was perfect. I didn't do the Texas crutch because it cooked so fast.

I was a little disappointed with the cook.

1) I really over salted for the dry brine. The bark was way too salty for my liking.

2) The bark was too thick - hard to cut without ripping the meat. I will for sure do the foil wrap next time.

Having said that, it was juicy and flavorful with a good texture.

A good first attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh View Post
                      I just can not remember to take pics. Once I start feeding the gang I get too distracted.

I started at 5am and it was done by 2pm - 7 hours. I fell asleep for a few hours and my water pan went dry and the heat went up to 250 so I know why it was so quick. I pulled the meat at....well I had three thermometers in it and they were all at different temps. Temp ranged from 199 to 204.

The coleman cooler worked great. From 2pm to 6:30 and it was still over 150 internal. I'd say the 14 hour window was perfect. I didn't do the Texas crutch because it cooked so fast.

I was a little disappointed with the cook.

1) I really over salted for the dry brine. The bark was way too salty for my liking.

2) The bark was too thick - hard to cut without ripping the meat. I will for sure do the foil wrap next time.

Having said that, it was juicy and flavorful with a good texture.

A good first attempt.

1. Your cook time seems to be more like 9 hours

2. How long did you dry brine? Dry brining puts the salt IN the meat, not on the surface.

3. Best to watch the bark development. Once you get a good dark black bark all over, wrap that dude up.

Comment

Yep, my math sucks! 9 hour cook.

I dry brined for probably 15 hours. Soooo - maybe less salt AND dry brine for less time? Makes sense, thanks. Actually that explains it better. I just found all the meat too salty, I just never thought of penetration, I just assumed it was the brine.

I hear you on the bark. Lesson learned. I'm wrapping it as soon as there is some bark.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                          Jerod Broussard commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Don't worry about shrinking the time, the longer the better. I do 48-72 hours on my dry brines on briskets and butts. You need to measure the amount of salt you are using so you can adjust. Once you put that amount on the meat it is as salted as it will get.

What brine? What 9 hrs? 🤠

Comment

• EdF
                          EdF commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh stop. Some of us are like Ray Davies in the song "Picture Book". "... Don't show me no more please ..."!

• FireMan
                          FireMan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What Ray Davies? What picture book?

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here