Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Back Ribs Cook - Wrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Back Ribs Cook - Wrap?

Hey Pit Masters!

Today I'm cooking some beef back ribs on my pellet smoker. After 3 hours at 250, they still don't seem very "barky". I bumped up the smoker to 275, and I will recheck after 40 minutes. Any suggestions? Should I go ahead and wrap? Wait more? Don't bother wrapping? I've been spritzing with beef broth+ a little Frank's hot sauce every hour.

Here the are ready to roll:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2702.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	351024

After 1 hour:

Name:	IMG_2705.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	351025

After 2 hours:

Name:	IMG_2707.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	351026

And just recently, after 3 hours:

Name:	IMG_2709.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	351027

Beef ribs can take alot of rub, did you go light or heavy? Looks very light ...

Comment

• Stevo
      Stevo commented
      Editing a comment
      It wasn't heavy. About what I do for pork ribs I guess. It was a rub recipe from Adrenaline BBQ Company's smoked chuckie video.

Wait longer. Like maybe 2 hours longer, possibly more.

What's the internal temp?

Comment

Back ribs can take a while to get tender. You can wrap if you want to speed things along. I have never wrapped them, however.

Love all things beef ribs!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Thanks all. I bumped up the temp to 275 and let ride for about 1 hour more, then spritzed and wrapped in butcher paper and put back in the smoker at 250 for maybe another hour. They came out tasty! A little dry perhaps, but definitely enjoyable. Much less fat than plate ribs. More pics:

Just before wrapping:

Name:	IMG_2712.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	351302

After wrap some more time in the pit, and a CF rest of ~30 minutes:

Name:	IMG_2716.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	351303

Name:	IMG_2717.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	351304

Name:	IMG_2718.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	351305

Name:	IMG_2720.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	351306

Name:	IMG_2719.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	351307

Comment

Looks delicious!

Comment

Hope those were as yummy as they look!
              Beautiful job!!!

Comment

Everything was eaten! Burp.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did you get what you hoped for? Would/will you do anything different next time? Thanks...

There's not a lot out there on beef back ribs or their cooking times. Most folks do beef short ribs. What I have learned is they take about as long to smoke as baby back ribs. I use that as my gauge for how long to plan a cook.

Comment

I did some yesterday as well. I was allowing 5 hours, but they looked pretty nice after 3 1/2 so I wrapped for an hour, then into the faux cambro for 30 minutes. Turned out great. I don't usually wrap but this seemed really tender.

Comment

Looks delicious

Comment

HorseDoctor - I did get what I had hoped for - beefy ribs that aren't as fatty as plate/short ribs. They were tasty, but a little dry. I will cook beef back ribs again, but i might go to my nearby butcher and try to get some with a little more meat on them. The ones from the local HEB grocery are a little light on the meat). I think I should have let them ride at 250 instead of bumping up the temp to 275. And maybe I'll cook them more like 235 (Malcom Reed has a video where he cooks them at 235 for 3 hours then wraps with foil and braising liquid). If I wrap again, I think i'll use foil also to try and keep them moist, but perhaps I just dried them out with the higher ccoking temps I used this time.

jgreen - what temps did cook at? What type of smoker? Thanks!

Comment

• jgreen
                        jgreen commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Cooked around 225. Apple wood for smoke.

Sausage look delicious

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here