Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corned beef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corned beef?

Askin for a bud

making the meathead from scratch corned beef. Recipe reads to boil water, salt, sugar and then when it's cooled to add meat and nitrite. Bud missed the part about adding the nitrite post boil, can he carry on and add his meat when the liquid has cooled or does he need to start over?

thanks guys.

Never tried the recipe, but you just want the salt to be dissolved. No need to cook it.

Comment

• Gbell1577
      Gbell1577 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the boil was to decontaminate the water since he didn't use distilled, idk

He needs to add the nitrite when the brine has cooled. Don't just don't try the recipe with out the nitrite. It won't be cured. (obviously)

The boiling of the ingredients is to ensure out brine to as clean as possible before starting the cure. Anytime you can eliminate contamination, it is a good idea to do so. Especially while canning or curing. Many deaths per year, in the US, as a result of unsanitary canning or curing conditions. Not something to mess around with.

This recipe is amazing, if done right.

Comment

• Gbell1577
      Gbell1577 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir

He is telling me he added the Prague powder before he boiled and is worried it is no longer "Prague powder" now that it has boiled. Maybe he can just throw his meat in when the liquid cools

Gbell1577 One problem I can see with adding the nitrite before you boil, is it can throw off the measurements as the water boils off. Your nitrite levels will change, as there is less water in the bath once boiling. I am not sure if it is necessary for him to dump it or not. Let me pass this on to Meathead and we will see what he thinks.

Comment

• Gbell1577
      Gbell1577 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds good

Spinaker i think Meathead shoots for 150 ppm so don't think it will be an issue as there is 50ppm in either direction. I don't think the Evap loss (as stated-not per the recipe) will be an issue. Dilution by adding water or ice will be the issue. I did not review the recipe again.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I think your right. There is plenty of wiggle room.

I think he is OK if he didn't evaporate a lot of water.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree! He'll be fine. Boiling won't deteriorate the Prague powder. Even if he boiled it for a really long time it would just concentrate it (a bit).

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here