Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked tri tip... any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked tri tip... any ideas?

I just picked one up to smoke on the OK Joe then reverse sear it. I've smoked a couple of them but usually grill on the gas grill with indirect heat. This one will be the first on my OK Joe. The last 2 I did on a cheap Brinkmann bullet style. I did the first one with a mix of hickory and apple, it turned out great. The second one I used mesquite. It was interesting to see how much darker the meat was with the mesquite wood compared to the hickory. I'm thinking about using Pecan for this one. Thoughts?

Im have been using Pecan in the kettle. The family likes the lighter type smoke. I think it's good.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Our kitchen cabinets are made of pecan - very pretty. However the cabinetmaker who made them said he would never make any more from pecan because it wa too d@Wn hard.

Pecan should work out well. It is a more mellow wood. Mesquite is really good with beef but can overpower the meat if you aren't careful.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      For sure. I grew up in mesquite and the cooking. Som more skilled then others.

I'm a Texan, but truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of mesquite wood. I'm going to try some pecan and might throw some cherry in there too.

Comment

Red oak is the traditional wood used for Tri tip. My very first introduction to this wonderful cut was 2 years ago in Central California (Valley Springs). I had never even heard of it before. Our hosts (Joe & Wilan) did us up a BBQ as Joe is a former pit master at his own restaurant. Needless to say I paid strict attention to his methods.

Cooking temps - I asked Joe and he had no clue as he did everything by feel. He had never checked temps before.
      Rub - he put it together himself and rattled off the ingredients but I didn't write them down. Damn!
      Smoker - OK Joe
      Time - it's done when it's done. "I just know when" he said.
      Smoke - Red oak. He said you can use others if you want but why? Red oak is the best.
      Sauce - Joe told me that the sign of a good BBQ is that sauce is never needed.

The dinner was delicious. Tri tip, ribs, chicken, sides etc. I did not need any sauce and come to think of it none was offered😀

Since then I've used nothing but red oak when smoking Tri tip with great results. I can't think of any reason to change.

Comment

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey you can get plenty of redoak at the woodshed in Orange. Best place for any and all cooking wood!

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        smokinfatties thank you for the assist. In my day I lived and drove past there a lot. I guess this is newer. Thank you!!

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        Its an awesome place with friendly owners. They sell Thermoworks and other rubs etc. too. Even BBQs and smokers!

I do a lot of Tri Tip with a hickory _ pecan mix... If you need any Pea Kahn, let me know..
      Attached Files

Comment

• fowlsuds
        fowlsuds commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you in TX? What part? I'm in FTW

I have heard about tri tip but I have never had it. I know on my t-bones I like pecan and plum. I think they get along great. I may try to pick up a tri tip for this weekend...

Comment

I live in Southern California and have cooked 100's of Tri Tips over the last 45 years. I've NEVER smoked a Tri-Tip ever. I don't like smoke on beef steaks or roasts.

I reverse seared it for years using the normal Santa Maria Rub. Now I cook my Tri Tip's in the Sous Vide Magic hot tub at 131° for 15 hours and then sear it on my charcoal starter, using various rubs, after I plot it dry and hit it with some beef love.

Comment

Tri-tip is a Pit Barrel specialty. Dry brined, seasoned with onion powder, garlic powder, and powdered dried basil, then cooked in the PBC to perfect medium rare (no wood needed) then served to a ravenous crowd:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0139.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.02 MB ID:	350081

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0140.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	350082

Comment

I also like the PBC for tri tip, I go with 1 sm chunk oak and or pecan for smoke. I prefer oak for beef in general. I make pastrami frequently and that is traditional for the smoke.
            mini tri tip
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20170429_175604.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	350195
            pastrami
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140420_202854_597.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	350196

Comment

I've got one in the freezer waiting. I think its PBC bound. Thanks guys.

Comment

Just did one on the OK Joe couple weeks ago, reverse sear. Think I used a little chunk o hickory and little chunk o maple. Came out like butta. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170617_195937.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	350259

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

I do mine on the Weber rotisserie over oak (red oak when I can get it) and then sear it towards the end. I cook a lot of things, but this is what I'm kinda known for...
                    Attached Files

Comment

I took mine off when the internal hit 130. Took about an 1.5 hours which is about how long it takes on the gas grill. I've always used indirect heat on the grill. Came out great, nice pink all the way through. Best thing is it was just me and my son eating dinner so I've got plenty of leftovers for sammitchs!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here