Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tomahawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tomahawk

I managed to get my hands on a real nice tomahawk. The tomahawk is a ribeye steak with the rib bone attached, and the rib bone has been 'frenched'. It's a big fella, weighing in at 3.3 lbs (55 oz). That meant it it was a perfect candidate for the reverse sear method. So I fired up my offset smoker with oak wood, and smoked it for 1.5 hours, by then it had reached an internal temp of 131° F. So I moved it over to the firebox where I could give it a good sear. I let it rest uncovered for 5 minutes before slicing it.
    It's a great steak with real nice beef flavor. All I applied was salt.

The raw steak

Click image for larger version

Name:	tomahawk-1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	347011

This is what it looked like when I had seared it

Name:	tomahawk.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	347012

And here's the sliced beef. Yum!

Name:	tomahawk-2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	347013

That's it really, I appreciated the shorter cook time for once. Sometimes it is nice not having to get up early to get dinner ready 12 hours later :-)

Drooling here at work

🤤

Comment

Lordy!

Comment

Yup, that'll do!!! Congrats on a great cook!

Comment

A Tomahawk or Cowboy steak as it's known in some areas is unquestionably my favorite cut of meat.😜 No smoke flavor allowed! Just dry brined and then very freshly ground black pepper after it comes off the grill. Mmmmmmm.😋

Comment

Great lookin' steak.

Comment

Thanks! Breadhead, it didn't taste of smoke, since I only had it in the smoker for 1.5 hours, and with an exceptionally clean burn it takes a lot longer to get that smoke flavor in.

The downside with a steak like this is that you pay a lot of money for that bone...but it looks cool

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                The ONLY reason I buy Tomahawk steaks is because of my dog. Plus they look pretty in a picture with the bone in. I agree with Meathead who recommends saving the money by buying Ribeye without the bone, but I'd feel guilty not having that bone for my Buddy "The Boz".😎

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Breadhead I'd love to see a pic or 2 of "The Boz".
                Don't know what I would do without my buddies.

Beautiful!

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks DW!

you're da bom!

Comment

That's beautiful!

Comment

Georgous! Not sure how expensive that was but they are pricey here. Costco had some real nice ones, $50 per steak.

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was expensive, but I figured I had to give it a try once :-)

You know Henrik I just got back from lunch at work and saw this post. I wound up going through the rest of my day HUNGRY. Thanks a lot
                Actually I'm still hungry. Nice cook my brother.

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Steve B.

Beautiful job, Henrik!

Comment

Great looking steak, Henrik!

Comment

Steve B

My buddy, Bozley, aka "The Boz".
                Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You've got a good eye. He a labradoodle and he just turned 8. I've been asked a 100 times if he is an Irish Wolfhound... why? I have no clue. Me and The Boz... we connect. We don't even have to talk. We've got each other figured out. If he moves I know what he's doing, the same with me.

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He can't be big enough to be in an Irish wolfhound league. People who have never seen one might ask. Great looking pooch, I miss having a dog, but I can't handle the responsibilities of one at this point of life.

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great looking dog!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here