Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - bought Chuck Steak not Chuck Eye Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - bought Chuck Steak not Chuck Eye Steak

OK, made a mistake when hurrying in the grocery store yesterday. Bought 2 choice chuck steaks, but meant to buy chuck eye steaks. Have read others saying the chuck eye steak is a good cheaper alternative to rib eye if cooked correctly and was up for trying it. However, I understand that chuck steak is not the same as chuck eye, and is generally tougher, etc.

Need advice on how best to cook these tonight. I was going to grill on Weber kettle/SnS doing a reverse sear like with typical steaks. But now I'm wondering if I need to go another route, like in the oven braised? In any case, suggestions will be greatly appreciated, including full recipes if you have them (for instance, if braising is the way to go I've never done that, so could use some tips).

By this afternoon the steaks will have been dry brining in the fridge for 24 hours.

Thanks!

You might play it safe and wrap it after smoking a while. Plan to,take it to 200"or probe tender. Braising would work, too.

Comment

• PJBowmaster
      PJBowmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you thinking about Chuck Roast?

LSUBBQFan You will have a good meal. Chuck Steaks are not as good as Chuck EYE Steaks. That's absolutely true. But they are still a pretty tasty piece of meat. I buy them occasionally if they look good. (I look for good marbling) If the steaks you purchased are cut thick stick to your plan. I would rather eat Choice Chuck Steaks off my grill than most of the Ribeye Steaks that I have been served by the average backyard cook!!

Come back here and report your results. And don't forget to post pics....

Comment

LSUBBQFan how much meat do you have? Do you have a grinder? Chuck makes great burgers! You mentioned you have never braised, this is the meat that is used for pot roast and beef stew and such. An excellent piece of braising meat. If you grind then taco meat, burgers, beef burritos etc.. let me know if you grind or have a grinder. I am happy to help with recipes I can email you as an attachment.

Comment

• PJBowmaster
        PJBowmaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Great ideas!!

Thanks everyone!

PJBowmaster Your encouragement is just what I needed so I will forge ahead. I've already adjusted my expectations so as long as it comes out pretty good I'll be happy.

Comment

HouseHomey I have two 1.5 inch thick steaks, roughly 18 oz. each, with what I would call fair marbling. I agree with your suggestion of grinding for burgers and would do exactly that if I had a grinder. Sadly, I bought the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment for our stand mixer but it is defective, adding an interesting grey sludge to the meat. I had read about that in reviews before buying but threw caution to the wind and purchased anyway since it was only $25-ish. Then I waited too long to try to return to Amazon so still have it and may take it up with Kitchen Aid but they'll probably pretend they've never heard of the issue (but I'm not jaded, LOL).

So... If you have a grinder recommendation I'm all ears. Thanks!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely won't hurt to shoot them a quick email - you never know, they might just send you a replacement without any hassle!

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          MBMorgan I have that large processor myself. as for the grinder I LOVE my Kitchen Aid grinder. never had an issue, I use it a lot, A real lot. I wonder if yours had too much metal grease and got into your food?

Originally posted by LSUBBQFan View Post
        If you have a grinder recommendation I'm all ears. Thanks!
        Sorry for jumping in uninvited, but FWIW I gave up on a dedicated meat grinder long ago. If you've got a fairly heavy food processor (I have one of the larger Kitchenaids), it'll do a great job, too.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Theres no uninvites around here.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          FWIW: I have both grinder(s) and a good food processor. Maybe my processor needs sharper blades but I'm unimpressed with its ability to "grind" meat. It makes good forcemeat, but not very good burger.

Hope your chuck steaks turned out OK. In the future, if you have the time (&/or inclination), try putting them in a sous vide "bath" for 48 hours at 130, then sear. You'll forget all about chuck eye steaks!

Comment

Update: steaks came out pretty good. Kettle with SnS to about 140 internal. Flavor was good, a little tough in places, as expected but all in all a good salvage. Sorry, forgot to take pics.

HorseDoctor -- I'm not set up for sous vide but do believe this would be a prime candidate and I'm sure the results would've been much better, but I ain't complaining. Some folks didn't eat today and I had a steak.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. Got me back thinking about a grinder. I'm going to call Kitchen Aid and see what they'll do. The one time I used it I was happy with the ease of use, the grind consistency, etc. Everything but the waste of 3 pounds of chuck due to the grey ooze, lol.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Good luck!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here