Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Adventure at Reverse Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Adventure at Reverse Sear

So DW finds a supermarket ad over the weekend for ribeye steak at $4.99/lb. Sounds like a great price, but I’m a bit skeptical – I’m spoiled by Costco’s meat department. We get there and find all the market’s meats are Select grade. Not so good for my skepticism. But DW had her heart set for ribeye on the 4th, so we picked one up. There’s just the two of us, I thought, and besides there’s a lot of good advice from the Pit.
    Having never really cooked a RS steak before, I read up everything I could find. Still more skepticism: All the RS advice says 2” steaks or thicker. This one was just a bit over 1”. 1.5” max. Oh, well, let’s give it a shot. I can at least learn something.
    Dry brined overnight. Set the GMGDB to settle about 235 or so. Put the steak on and waited for about 90 degrees IT to fire up the little Q100 gasser with Grill Grates. Looking for about 125 IT, to end up with about 140 IT (she likes medium). After 95 or so the steak came up quickly. When I pulled it from the DB an instant-read said it was already 130-135 IT. Oops. Oh, well, too late to stop now.
    Oiled and peppered the steak and slapped it on the Grill Grates (by now they’re smokin’ hot). Got a great sear on each side with about 1 minute per side twice.
    Pulled the steak and the instant-read now said 150. Rats. Medium-well.
    Cut into that puppy and the skepticism went away. Even this thin, "overcooked" Select grade steak was the juiciest, most tender steak we’ve ever had. Not bad for a rookie try at RS with a less-than-stellar piece of meat. I can’t wait to try some choice or prime ribeye!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	First RS Ribeye.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	342784
    Not exactly pink in the center, but lookit that juice on the plate!

I'm dying to get my Grillgrates so I can try a good reverse sear. Shipped 1 week ago and still waiting!

Comment

• Deaf Arty
      Deaf Arty commented
      Editing a comment
      Hugh, you'll love 'em!

Congratulations! Way to make it work!

Comment

Nice job! 1.5" is about the minimum recommended for reverse sear, but I have done 1" successfully, with care. Looks like you had some good eats there!

Comment

Well done - pun intended.

Comment

Looks great. You got RS number one under your belt and there ain't no turning back now!

Comment

• Deaf Arty
            Deaf Arty commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely, Mudkat. Next trip to Costco will include some prime steaks! One more reason to frequent their meat counter.

Nice one Deaf Arty, you'll be thrilled at what you can do with a 'fancier' steak next time with the reverse sear!

Comment

Sometimes you get to just squeeze between the lines. Glad it came out good!

Comment

Thanks, all. We're hooked.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here