Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, First brisket, pics & a Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, First brisket, pics & a Question

OK, first brisket done! 3.3 lb flat before trimming, about 3 lb after. On smoke (camp chef dlx pellet smoker) for 11.5 hours (to 203 degrees), then in foil/cooler for 3 hours. Taste--delicious (S & P rub only). Smoke ring--perfect. But--not as juicy as I expected. Wondering--this was a grass fed, free range steer from the farmers market (my friends at Olsen's)--I know this type of beef cooks differently in steaks, wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of brisket? There was very little fat (intra-muscular or fat cap) so am not sure if I should cook less or more. The meat did not appear to be probe tender when I took it off, but maybe I waited too long? Here are pics from start, 4 hours in, and finished, sliced, and plated.
    Attached Files

Wow, I did these iin a weird order . . . in order, you have 3:30 am (raw); plated; right out of cambro; after 4 hours on smoke; and sliced but not yet plated. --Holly

Comment

I remember waiting tooo long before checking for probe tender and the meat was dryer than usual. Probably need to begin cheking at 190.

Comment

It looks great. With 100%grass-fed, I'm not sure of the remedies. It may need an injection of beef broth prior to cooking. Or, given the size maybe incorporate SV to tenderize the beef prior to smoking. I've mostly had corn-fed or corn-finished Brisket so I'm not positive.

Comment

• HAFoodie
          HAFoodie commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I'm thinking injection may be the way to go. I was checking starting at 195, but still difficult to get the wobble. Still, tasted great, so no too worried!

I have two thoughts for you:
        1- Brisket dries very quickly when sliced, so I would not slice until I was ready to plate and eat it.
        2- Reserve the drippings. Then remove the fat and pour the rest over the brisket before slicing, or dip each slice in the drippings as you plate them.

Comment

Grass fed beef is leaner and therefore inherently less "juicy". The flat is also leaner, so you start out a couple strikes down. Things that you might do different other than do grain finished beef and include the point end might include injecting it with broth, rendered beef fat, butter or commercial beef injection. Wrapping sooner, (as soon as you have good bark) will help preserve moisture. Include some more juice, or broth when you wrap. Slice just before plating and add some more juice at that time. Agree, that a Sous Vide bath before cooking might also work well. Good luck!

Comment

Considering the above. A solid effort. Nice work.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here