Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First brisket

I am shopping for my first brisket. I found CAB but I don't recognize the "PS" on the label. Should this one have the point section? Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	342489

PS might mean "point section"??? Maybe? Might better ask someone at the meat counter...

Comment

It looks like a cryovac full packer, but I need to see both sides to tell.

Comment

Other side is a layer of fat that covers the entire piece of meat.

Comment

As a Texan, I like to see pics of brisket in The Pit. I like to compare how it's cut, price, etc with what I see local. In Houston, we usually see only a whole packer in cryovac or a flat on styrofoam under plastic wrap. The point is often used and sold as chili meat or burgers.

It sounds like a whole packer, but at what looks like 6.93 lbs, that's a small whole packer by our standards. I see 10 lb whole packers but can't say I remember a 7 lb. If it is a whole packer, and this is your first, maybe it's not a bad thing to start small, but I just wonder if the size of the point is gonna be worth a damn. I usually purchase briskeys at about 13 lbs, and am often sad when I see the amount of cooked point I end up with. For a 7 pound whole packer, I'd expect to be disappointed with how much point you end up with.

My personal thinking is to start with what I would consider a "normal brisket" when starting out. Here, that means about 12-13 lbs and a respectable stiffness, assuming it's untrimmed. I would just assume that its better to learn on "normal" and then adjust for especially large or small pieces of meat after I've perfected my craft.

I'm also looking at the price and am curious if they have prime available. If they've got prime available that appears more to your liking, I'd be willing to bet that its a bit cheaper and you likely wont know the difference.

if your Kroger is like mine, the dude behind the counter wont know what PS stands for either. Everything you need to know, me thinks, is printed on the cryovac.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here