Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reheating a "whole" brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reheating a "whole" brisket

Help! I decided to do a brisket for the holiday. Because my kids have to work at 5, we're eating at 1, so I cooked my brisket yesterday, following all of Meathead's recommendations. I refrigerated it overnight and need advice on reheating it today. It is (mostly) point, was 8.5 lbs before cooking, and is VERY thick!

If you can I would put it in a vacuum sealed plastic bag(s) and reheat in hot water. I don't have a food saver to vacuum pack in so I used ziplock bags and submerged them in water to remove the air. There are links on how to do this that I will look for here in a moment.

This is is a poor mans version of sous vide. Will keep the meat from drying out.

I did this for the first time last week with a brisket at the beach I cooked a few days early. I cut the meat in to several large parts I could then later slice so that I could fit them in gallon freezer bags.

The bark suffers some with this but the brisket was excellent still. It was in 160 degree water for about 2 hours for me and that worked well. Time will depend on how large the pieces are.

Comment

Jerod Broussard can jump in here and give the details or an update.

We talked about this before in another topic, I've followed his recommendation there of reheating the brisket in a 300°F oven (can't remember if he does it on convection or just regular setting) until the internal temp reaches 165°F. For a whole packer brisket he says it takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to get to 165°. Then if necessary, it can be faux cambroed until time to eat as long as the meat temperature stays above 140° in the cambro.

For food safety reasons, you'll want to push that meat through the 40° to 140° danger zone as quickly as you can.

Jerod can comment on that as well.

HTH,
      Kathryn

Comment

If I reheat it in the oven, should I keep it wrapped in foil to prevent drying out?

Comment

I think I found the post Kathryn is talking about.

Hi -- We're here in Austin for a few days, and of course are mapping out our BBQ plan of attack. Started off with Salt Lick today, which I always enjoy. One

Comment

And yes, keep it wrapped.

Comment

And here is a link on sealing bags if you need it.

Comment

I boil my leftovers in a vacuum sealed bag for about 15 minutes and it comes out great. I always slice it though first vs. sealing it whole.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here