Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meatloaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meatloaf

When I am asked what my favorite thing to grill/smoke is, my reply is most often "Meatloaf!"

This one is three pound of ground beef stuffed with caramelized onions, green olives and gouda cheese. Bacon weave on top, just because.

About 30 minutes into the cook:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_41713.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	342024

About 155F after one hour:

Name:	image_41711.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	342022

Resting:

Name:	image_41712.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	342023

Inside:

Name:	image_41714.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	342026

Ingredients (from memory):
    3 pounds ground beef
    2 slices bread, crusts removed soaked in heavy cream
    2 large eggs, whisked
    3 small onions, caramelized and cooled to room temperature
    1 cup roughly chopped garlic and jalapeno stuffed green olives
    1 cup small diced gouda cheese
    3 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
    1 Tablespoon paprika
    1 Tablespoon cumin
    2 Teaspoons coriander
    salt & pepper

Mix all ingredients, shape into a loaf and place in the fridge a minimum of 1.5 hours.

Before placing on the smoker, add the bacon weave.

Cook for about 1 hour at 375F, or until internal temp reaches 150F - 155F. Rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ebacklund; July 3, 2017, 06:42 PM.

Pic??? Sounds delicious.

Comment

• ebacklund
      ebacklund commented
      Editing a comment
      You don't see the picture? I posted one within the post, and I can see it.

I see it and it looks great.

Comment

Looks marvelous!

Comment

I have no doubt that meatloaf is illegal in some countries!

Comment

Wow! Missed that on this weekends menu but it sure might make next weekend.

Comment

• jgreen
            jgreen commented
            Editing a comment
            ebacklund that was in a foil dish? What cooker?

• ebacklund
            ebacklund commented
            Editing a comment
            No foil. I placed the meatloaf on a piece of parchment, which help with sliding it on and off the pizza peel that I use to move it.

I cooked it on my Weber Summit Charcoal Grill, the 24 inch grate makes the 3+ pound meatloaf appear small.

ebacklund weird, now I see the photos. It's all good. Wow, that's ridiculous! Do you always take it to 155°? I bet the onions are crazy good. Did you cook'em off first? Oh heck, just post the recipe.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            ebacklund you can message me if you.choose. I just wanted to see your ratios. I make a lot of meatball and meatloafs.

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for updating with the recipe!

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you sir. It's a beast!

Man, I need to smoke a fatty now for some reason...

Comment

I'm definitely going to try that recipe, ebacklund . You had me at gouda and jalapeno stuffed olives. Not your Mama's meatloaf. Thanks for the recipe and photos.

How are you liking your WSCG? Did you keep it at 375°F for the whole cook?

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; July 4, 2017, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              ebacklund The DnG is a Drip and Griddle pan that fits in the space next to the SnS with the charcoal grate in the upper position. That SnS rocks any sort of kettle WSCGC cook. I put the meat on in about 10 minutes after I pour the coals to let the white smoke dissipate a bit.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I know the smoke ring adds no flavor but I'm a sucker for a pretty smoke ring. My PBC spoiled me for it.

I get nicer ones if I add more wood. Breadhead tells me to do as the Kamado folks do and nestle a CI wood-burning pot in the coals. That's still on my to-do list.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Next up is to fill the Large Charcoal Basket that I got with my SnS/DnG, put it on the lower charcoal grate position and see how a smoke goes with that setup. Just playing.

Beautiful

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here