Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket on the kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket on the kettle

When my wife says it's my best brisket yet, my day is made. Now the pressure is on for the next cook All the details of the cook are in the screenshot of my Google Sheet. Used the Weber 22 with SnS today. I LOVE that combination. My one small mistake is I used Pitbarrel Cooker All Purpose rub. That wasn't a mistake but I dry brined the night before and the rub already contains salt as it's #1 ingredient. Was a little tad salty but not too bad. Next time I'll go lighter on the dry brine or just skip it. The slices just fell apart. Took it off and let it sit in a faux cambro for 2 hours, that was torture. Man I love this hobby.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 5.36.55 PM.png
Views:	112
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	341431

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	341433

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	341434

Name:	IMG_0082.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	341432

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	341435

Make up a batch of MH's Big Bad Beef Rub.

Comment

That is a HOME RUN!!

Ditto, dry brine with salt then BBBR before it goes on the pit.

Comment

Amazing!

Comment

I'll eat that all day Loooonng!!

Comment

Great lookin' meat.

Comment

Ya' Rocked that Brisket, Neighbour!!! phoccer
              Way to keep KC on th' BBQ Map!!!!

Comment

Great cook! How did you control the temp? I smoked a brisket flat yesterday on my Weber kettle with the SNS and the temp ran a constant 325 even with the bottom vent almost closed and the top vent 1/4 open. Used a full tray of charcoal but started the left edge with a Weber parafin cube trying the snake method. After the first hour I switched to Myron Mixon's hot and fast method timeline since I couldn't keep it below 325. Turned out OK but the edges were overcooked. Wrapped at 150 and pulled to rest at 203. I let it rest 4 hrs as I wasn't planning on it cooking so fast and being finished at 1 PM. May use a half tray of charcoal vs a full try tray next cook to see if I can manage the temp better.

Comment

If you are unable to keep temps down my guess is that you have a lid leak somewhere on your kettle, I had one when I first tried my kettle and couldn't keep temps below 360 on a dry run. Set the lid on a flat concrete surface and push on the top, you'll immediately notice how much it gives and if you have gaps. If you don't have big gaps, you could still have small gaps and if that's the case, I'd try binder clips on the lid. Get 1 1/4" clips and tie a string through them and connect them to the handle of the kettle. That way if the clips ping off they'll just swing down and hang from the handle.
                  It may be that you started with too much charcoal but it doesn't sound like that. I started by lighting 8 cubes in the corner with a cube as you did. I let those 8 get ashed over then I filled my SnS with unlit coal, put the lid on, and started my setup with the bottom at 1/8 open and the top 1/2 open. As temps rose and got close to 250, I closed down the top to 1/4 and temps settled around 275. I put the meat on and went from there. I did have to adjust the top vent a little during the cook but not much and not very often.

Comment

Sounds like a leak. Check the "fins" on the charcoal sweeper inside the kettle. One or more may be making less than acceptable contact with the bottom of the grill.

Comment

Beautibul!

Comment

I'm doing the same cook today. Brisket on a Weber Kettle with a SnS. I was reading Meathead's Texas Brisket write up, in the "Separating the muscles" section he gave a bunch of good reasons to separate them, but says he doesn't separate them unless he's in a rush. Then, in the "trim" of the Method sectin, he says he separates the point.

Anyone have thoughts one way or the other?

Comment

• kmhfive
                        kmhfive commented
                        Editing a comment
                        BTW, welcome to the Pit!

I have not separated the muscles before, but I have good results. However, one reason to separate is that they will get done separately and you can take the point off to make burnt ends while waiting for the flat.
                      Last edited by kmhfive; July 3, 2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here