Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket - Here we go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket - Here we go!

Just finished up the trimming and injecting on my first ever brisket. Going on the Mak 1 Star early AM for dinner tomorrow night. I plan to crutch and will use BBBR. Based on various things I have read, I think i am going to set the Mak to 250 for the cook.

Wish me luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2208.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	340955

Good luck!! Pics.... please, I like to look especially when I'm hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
      Good luck!! Pics.... please, I like to look especially when I'm hungry.
      You bet, I'll grab snaps as I go.

Comment

Congrats. I'm sure you will do fine. Just remember to cook to doneness not temp.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
          Congrats. I'm sure you will do fine. Just remember to cook to doneness not temp.
          Absolutely, temp will be my guide but not a hard and fast rule. My plan on crutching is to make sure I am happy with the bark even if I have to hang out in the stall for longer and then really pay attention to the feel of the meat.

Comment

250 will be fine! Can't wait to see pictures!

Comment

Sounds like a good plan, you'll be fine. Can't wait to see photos of the finished product!

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
                Sounds like a good plan, you'll be fine. Can't wait to see photos of the finished product!
                Thanks Henrik. I just got everything on the smoker. My only worry is if I put it on too early or too late for dinner tomorrow. Seems like cook times can be all over the place.

Comment

Looks Great!!!

Comment

Pulled it off at about 167 to wrap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2213.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	341327

Comment

• Biobus
                      Biobus commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great color!

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yum!!!

Looks good. Making me hungry.

Comment

Well, looks like I finished earlier than planned. Once I wrapped, it really took off. I got around 200 on my Mak probe and used the Thermapen to probe a few spots and it had the butter feel I have read about. The Thermapen read a few degrees higher in the same spot where I had the Mak probe placed so I have to keep that in mind for future cooks. The thin end of the flat was not quite as tender feeling and it was certainly a higher temp but not surprised since it is really thin on this particular brisket. I'm all wrapped up in towels and placed in my Faux Cambro. Do you think I can reasonably hold for 5 hours or so or should I move to the oven on warm mode at some point?

Thanks

Comment

Keep watching the IT if you have a leave-in probe you can use. Otherwise check it at the 4-hr Point. Once the temp drops to about 140-150F put it in the oven on a "warm" setting, or as low as it will go (170F is typical). It will taste great and that flat should taste juicy.

Comment

Well, everything turned out great. I ending up holding for about 5 hours. I took out of the cambro at about 30 minutes before serving and it was still at 165. It was almost 140 when I started slicing. It was super tender, very juicy (even in the flat) and passed the pull test. The picture doesn't do it justice but the juices were just dripping and running everywhere, I was really surprised. For the first time out, everything came together. I only hope I can repeat it! Here are the final results:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2215.JPG.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	341649Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2216.JPG.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	341650Click image for larger version  Name:	brisketslice.jpg Views:	1 Size:	103.4 KB ID:	341651Click image for larger version  Name:	brisketslices.jpg Views:	1 Size:	172.7 KB ID:	341652Click image for larger version  Name:	burntends.jpg Views:	1 Size:	143.1 KB ID:	341653
                          Last edited by Jazzer; July 3, 2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                            Mr. Bones commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Delicious Brisky!
                            Fine Job, there!!!

• EdF
                            EdF commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Perfect!

• Jazzer
                            Jazzer commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks!

Looks Awesome!

Comment

• Jazzer
                            Jazzer commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here