Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hit the stall too early - no bark! Opinions requested.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit the stall too early - no bark! Opinions requested.

My 8-lb flat has hit the stall after just 2.5 hours! I've been running at 225 the whole time. Stuck at 147 for the past 30 minutes. I could crutch it now, but it hasn't developed much of a bark (see photo). Luckily, this thin cut cooked faster than expected - we have 9.5 hours until we need to eat.

So my question is: leave it unwrapped to develop more bark, or crutch it now and try to firm up the bark under the broiler later?
    Attached Files

I never do just the flat, but I would let it roll. Wrap after you get the bark you want. Time is on your side. Enjoy!

Comment

Me? I would let it ride as is...
      Lookin' great, so far!

Comment

I would let it ride as well, but if you are concerned about it being done in time you can pick up the grill temp to 250-275

Comment

My briskets can often hit the stall early, but I let them get through the stall and take them to 170-180°F before wrapping so they have a nice bark set. The bark is set so well by that internal temperature that it doesn't soften to mush during the wrap or the cambro stage. Kick back and enjoy your cook!

Kathryn

Comment

I agree with the others. Wrap after you get your bark.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here