Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Hambone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp Hambone

Every 4th of July we host a campout at our place and dozens of friends show up in their RV's full of family. By the shape of the rigs that show up it's more of a "Glampout", but it is a great time nonetheless. Most of the folks that attend are former coworkers from my fire department days where my nickname was "Hambone", hence the name of the event. Since it's our place we host the first night's dinner and I make paella over a wood fire. It's a great dish and a lot of fun to prepare, but it is also very labor-intensive and I have little time for visiting.

So this year, this Friday to be exact, I've decided to do a Texas-style brisket BBQ. I've only done one brisket before, which turned out pretty good, but not on this scale. I bought a 13lb brisket from a local restaurant supply, then decided we might need a little more so I picked up a 16 pounder from our local butcher. The first one is Select grade (wet aged 35 days now), and the second one is CAB choice. Both needed very little trimming, about 1.5 pounds each, and are now dry brining in the fridge. One will go on the Traeger and the other will go on the 22" Weber. I intend to follow MH and Dave Parrish's recipes and techniques respectively for each, but would greatly appreciate any advice or pitfall avoidance the group can offer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Camp Hambone 2017.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	339186

I would inject that first one for sure, but that's just me. Beef broth works well for that.

Comment

If they are choice I would also inject them. Trim them up and brine AT LEAST by tonight. (let that salt have time to really hold that moisture)
      Make sure that you double wrap in HD foil, then a towel then throw it into the cambro for AT LEAST two hours, three is better, four is even better still. This is very crucial to most brisket.
      Once unwrapped, save that Au Jus from the foil and drizzle it over the meat, to add moisture to the slices before serving. Make sure to serve right after slicing. Once the brisket is cut, that meat will begin to dry out so get it to the hungry masses!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        That is what I preach all the time. The cambro is a vital part of the cooking. Great advice Spinaker.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Trimmed to 1/8-1/4" and about 8 tsp of kosher salt per hunk and they're sitting in the fridge now, should I amp that up a bit? Hoping to have them on the grill by 5:00 AM for a 7:00 PM feeding.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        That should be fine. Just make sure you give yourself ample time to hold the meat. CaptainMike

Give yourself lots of time for the cook. Better to hold the brisket (in the faux cambro) than to hold back the hungry guests! Have a great holiday!!!

Comment

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to lend a hand, the brisket was really good.

Comment

Wishing there was a picture. Glad it went well!

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            The cook time was great, 11hrs overall, then 3.5 in cambro. I had a bunch of hungry guests so couldn't pause for a photo. I think I've exorcised my apprehensions about doing brisket for a crowd.

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome result! Have fun.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here