Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri tip, Cali style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri tip, Cali style

I realize I haven't fired up my Big Green Egg in more than two months. And today I felt like doing a quick bbq. I have purchased very nice tri tip steaks from Creekstone Farms, so I prepped one with a dry brine this morning. I then added coarsely ground black pepper.

I fired up my egg with BGE charcoal, and tuned it in to 240° F. Put the steak on (it weighed 900 grams / 32 oz) and left it for almost an hour. When the internal temp hit 120° F I opened the lid and stoked that fire to get it red hot. That only took 2-3 minutes, and then I seared it. I flipped every 20-30 seconds until the inner temp was 133° F, wrapped it in a faux cambro and let it rest for 10 minutes. Done deal, sliced it (correctly) and served it on Romaine salad leaves, sliced peach, sliced avocado and a nice camembert. I drizzled some balsamico vinegar creme on top. That's my interpretation of Cali style anyway

That tri tip is one of my favorite beef steaks, very succulent and with great beef flavor.

Getting that fire ready for some searing action

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tritip-fire.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	339164

Getting close to warp heat

Name:	Tritip-temp.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	339166

The meat is on! Keep flippin'

Name:	Tritip-sear.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	339163

Here's what it looks like sliced. Pretty darn tasty!

Name:	Tritip-cut.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	339165

And my Cali style plate. I served it with an Italian rosé wine

Name:	Tritip-plate.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	339162

Damn fine cook Henrik!!!
    Are you able to buy Creekstone in Sweden? Or do you have to order them?

All these pictures are awesome. That top one needs to be in the Feed the Flame thread!

The last picture is magazine worthy my friend!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Spinaker, kind words! This was one of those occasions where the whole cook was done quickly, and what a treat it was! Good fun.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      As for Creekstone: yes I can get it here, I order via a Swedish web shop, they import larger quantities. I'm real glad this works because I have yet to be disappointed by their quality.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I work with them regularly, they are good people. They have some awesome products. Their new plant is state of the art! Henrik

Being a Native Californian I have cooked literally hundreds of tritips (a lot of fundraiser BBQ's), but this is a unique and beautiful presentation. Tres bien!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks CaptainMike! Great to hear from a native Californian!

Beautiful!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you DW!

Outstanding, Henrik ... grattis!!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Tack! :-)

Wow!! A fine cook indeed. Serious cross continent love to SoCal! What a great dish. That's new to me but I happily endorse the title of
    "Californian" to be used by you anytime. Though I'm sot sure you want it.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I have been to California a few times, gotta love that state!

A great job Henrik.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RonB!

Beautiful steak, wonderful presentation, and most excellent fire! Great job.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a lot kmhfive!

Looks really great. And great photos too!! I must try this presentation when I next do tri-tip.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Yes, I can highly recommend it. Perhaps one would want to add some kind of sauce, but except for that the combination turned out really well. Just make sure the cheese is at room temp before serving.

Great combo on that plate! I'm drooling.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you JCBBQ!

That looks great! Just did my first Tritip this week and it might be my new favorite! I need another soon. Have you ever tried smoking one? The last one came out so tasty grilling that I'm debating if I should smoke the next one or just do another one the grill!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      No I haven't, but I'm sure it'll work just fine. The one thing I don't smoke much is steaks. Except for that I smoke most everything. Do give it a try!

Henrik, be sure to let me know when you are planning your next trip-tip, I will be at your house for dinner! Stunning presentation. I can taste it from across the sea!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha, I sure will, I would love to cook a meal for any pit member, it would be an honor!

Very nice Henrik Is that avocado on the left side of the plated pic?? Was gonna bust on you cause you're in Sweden not California but the pics look so good I can't.

I guess that's why you have a published cook book.
    Great job my brother.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it is! I love a perfectly ripe avocado. Love your avatar by the way, a proper offset!

Wow. That looks wonderful! I had never seen tritip in Winnipeg till last year, when our local store had some. Hope they bring them back this year.

Comment

Henrik ... good job on using your BGE for a reverse sear on that TriTip.👍 I do my reverse sears on my BGE the same way. I use the BBQ Dragon to heat the cooking temperature up from 225/250° to Warp 10 in a couple of minutes. Then I invert my grate so my meat is 2" from the red hot lump.

I've been cooking my TriTip roasts in the SV hot tub lately and then searing them over my charcoal starter. It's just as good done that way and much easier. I put it in the hot tub in the early morning when I'm waiting for my morning coffee to brew in the French press. Then I sear it on the charcoal starter whenever it's convenient around dinner time, usually about 12 hours later.

Comment

• RobertC
      RobertC commented
      Editing a comment
      I do that, too, when I don't have much time. That said, when I do have a bit more time, I like the additional flavor profile from smoking cold meat for an hour or so before searing. Paradoxical, ain't it, that when I don't have much time I cook it for 12 hours.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Breadhead! I planned to use the dragon, but it wasn't needed, the fire went to warp 10 when I opened the lid for a few minutes.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here