Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket - When to slice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket - When to slice?

I'll be cooking a brisket on Monday but not eating until Tuesday. Would it be better to wait until Tuesday to slice it? I'm guessing probably so.

Wait until you are about to serve it. Air is your enemy when it comes to drying out the meat.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen!!!!

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll vote for that!

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      I second the motion!

Got it, thanks for the replies!

Comment

The last time I had friends over for brisket, I did not slice until each person brought their plate to where I was slicing the brisket/ And that's the way they do it at Franklin BBQ in Austin.

Comment

Cooking a brisket on Monday and serving on Tuesday is serving leftovers...😖

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          I was kinda thinking along the same line

Definitely don't slice until ready to serve. Personally, brisket is one hunk of meat I absolutely wouldn't serve the "next day" as a prime dish. It just doesn't hold up as well as, say, pork shoulder. It's not going to be near as good as when fresh out of the smoker and cambro. Far from it. You gotta do what you gotta do though...

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I disagree with this. Just cool it quickly the day it's done, heat it back up in the oven (or pit) the day of serving, then slice. I know many competitors that cook their brisket completely on Friday and reheat for the judges on Saturday. They do well with it, you will too.

• JoeInTX
          JoeInTX commented
          Editing a comment
          Reason I'm cooking brisket the day before is because I'm also cooking ribs, chicken and skirt steak. I thought I would allow the whole day, Monday for the brisket and cook the rest Tuesday morning. However the brisket is a small 2.6 lbs.

• JoeInTX
          JoeInTX commented
          Editing a comment
          Also this will be my first time cooking brisket so thought I'd leave Monday for the brisket. Maybe I need to rethink what to cook when?

I Can't argue with Nate CandySueQ and RonB. But I just saved 15% on my car insurance.

Comment

On the slicing thing...is it a party? Do you want to be a showman? Then slice before serving. You CAN slice early and keep slices moist and tasty in defatted juices from the wrapping, augmented with some good beef broth. When I cook competitions, I slice my brisket about an hour before turning it in and keep it in hot juice until I build the box. Smoke ring does suffer a bit, but the beef stays plenty juicy.

Comment

• JoeInTX
            JoeInTX commented
            Editing a comment
            Not really a party no, just family, lol.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here