Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I'm really unsure of what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm really unsure of what to do?

Put a 3 pound rubbed brisket and a 4 pound corned beef brisket on this morning, temp controller set to 225 and all was good. About 4 Pm or about 9 hours into it the fire flamed out and I was not even in the county. Wifi controller so I could witness. I came home and reloaded the firebox but in the time it took all of this to transpire the internal temp dropped from 197 to 180 and 2 hours later haven't even attained the last highest. Pull it now or leave until 203?

Poke it with your Thermapen probe... if it's soft as buttah, all is good. If it's hard to get in or come out... keep cooking.๐Ÿ‘

Comment

Just was poking at it not quite butter more llike cheese. Not sure if I went past butter and to shoe leather?

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Hard to tell because they are small hunks of meat. My instinct tells me to keep cooking.๐Ÿค”

• Dusty
        Dusty commented
        Editing a comment
        Well that's what I'm going to do. Thanks

How is it coming along? Any updates?

Comment

After initial lag when I started to flip out and panicked the temperature climbed pretty consistently for the 10th and 11th hour. i just pulled and wrapped the smaller one and the larger pastrami is at 198 and it looks as if this low temp rest might be a good thing? Apparently temp is more important than time even if you have a backwards slide?

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Woohoo... everything is going to be ok.๐Ÿ‘Œ

How did it come out? Pics? Sounds like you were good?

Comment

Well, I forgot pics but after panic mode I was more interested in eating. The smaller brisket seems to have suffered no ill effects. Slapped it on some slider buns with Georgia mustard sauce and munched away, no complaints. The remaining is off to be repurposed in all sorts of all good stuff. Haven't sliced the pastrami, I'll do that tomorrow after a rest but I suspect that is fine too.

Initially I was shocked how fast the briskets cooled down in the Kamado but then it occurred to me that the temperature controller was just pumping cold air into the cooker long after the flame went out. Note to self, if the cooker is not cooking turn of the controller.

Thanks for for the quick input.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here