Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib Roast Cooking Time Quesiton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib Roast Cooking Time Quesiton

Just bought 3.75lb prime ribeye roast and looking to reverse sear it tomorrow in time for a 6:30pm cook time. '

Gonna be cooking probably on my BGE with some oak chunks (may do on the rectec, but leaning towards the egg.

Curious about how long people think it'll take to get up to temp (120, then to sear) It's prob about 3-4" thick at its thinnest.
    Planning on cooking at 225 and yes, I'll be using a thermometer, just want to guesstimate for timing purposes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2352.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	336900

I would plan on 1-3/4 hours

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds right to me.

Wow, that looks great? Breadhead ?? drbisco BGE is over my pay grade though likely the same time amounts apply. Looks delicious.

Comment

I believe that Oakgrovebacon has the answer. Looking back at my Fireboard graphs, it could go to 2-1/2 hours, but with that much meat, I might pull a little before 120F -- Say 112-115 because there is a large mass and you'll get up to 10F of carryover.

Comment

I would plan on an 1 1/2 hr to get it up to searing temps. But like others have said, take it off earlier than normal, because you will get more carryover. Then get out your BBQ dragon and get the Egg up to warp 10!

Comment

Be sure to let us know the temp and time afterwards. Have fun!

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone...Serving time at 6:30pm. Gonna plan on firing up on the BGE around 3:30, giving it an hour or so to get the temp stabilized, then hopefully getting it on by 4:00-4:30 and should be done right around game time. Plan on pulling at 115. If it takes longer than 1.5 to 2 hours, then we gots uuni pizzas for apps!

Pics to follow....

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Not to diverge too much from the topic, but which uuni do you have, and what do you think of it?

• drbisco
              drbisco commented
              Editing a comment
              Just got the uuni 3 for my wife as an anniversary gift (she's the baker) and we love it. Works as advertised and can truly get up over 900 degrees. Only problem with it is now she's impinging on my outdoor cooking space....

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!

Post some pictures if you can!

Comment

I did one last weekend, though it was a bit bigger. On the kettle at about 225. Took me close to 3 hours to get to searing temperature. Of course I allowed 1 1/2 hour so dinner was late. Was not too popular over that.

Comment

The prime rib, about 3 lbs after trimming, Came out great. Had a hard time getting the temp up on the BGE, didn't want to overshoot, so ended up doing the bulk of the cook around 200-210 and it took just under 2 hours to get up to 115 internal temp. After searing, the internal temp didn't quite get up to 130 in the center (right after taking it off). It was 125 and as low as 115-118 in some parts, but we ended up letting it rest (out of necessity in waiting for people to arrive, etc) before cutting and I think the carryover worked well in this case.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2357.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	337612Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2358.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	337613

Comment

Outstanding drbisco outstanding

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Looks like a wonderful result! Glad it worked!

Comment

Looks amazing! I am sure everyone enjoyed it p

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here