Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing my first short ribs and chuck this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing my first short ribs and chuck this weekend

I have 2 dino ribs going on my 18.5 WSM, and I'll have extra space, so I thought, why not also do a little 2-3 pound chuck for pulled beef. Haven't bought the chuck yet, but here is one of the ribs. They're about 1.5 inches thick, I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	short rib.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	336105

In my research on the AR forums, I'm thinking here's what I'll do. Let me know if I'm headed in the right direction.

Wood: Oak and Hickory
    Temp: 250-275
    Water pan: Empty but foiled.

I was going to wrap the chuck when the bark set. Should I wrap the ribs? I wasn't planning to.

Assuming I only wrap the chuck, I'll transfer that to the oven and keep the ribs on the cooker. Will start checking for probe tenderness on both at around 200. Once they're probe tender, I'll hold the temp there for about an hour, then put both in faux cambro for about two hours. Then... time to eat and get the meat sweats!

Do you think total cook time for both will be about the same? I was going to give myself 12 hours. How's that all sound? Thanks!

Plenty of time.

Comment

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I'm doing the cook Sunday, so I'm going to dry brine Thursday night. I was planning to do salt and pepper on the ribs and BBBR on the chuck. Or maybe BBBR on both. Haven't decided yet.

Comment

I would try to keep the temps closer to 225-250*. You don't want the ribs to shrink too much. Also I would definitely have water in the pan, don't want those babies drying out. Definitely wrap the chuckie 170*ish.
        I think you can keep the chuckie in the wsm as long as it's wrapped.
        I think you've given yourself plenty of time for this cook.
        Sounds like it's gonna be great.
        Give us some pics when you're smoking.

And yeah you're gonna be in bbq heaven.

Comment

I swear, and I don't swear much, but I swear the first thing I cook when I finally get my vertical is short ribs!

Comment

That's a great lookin' rib!

Comment

Beautiful rib! I want to see it cooked! Or see it, then Eat it!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
                  I would try to keep the temps closer to 225-250*. You don't want the ribs to shrink too much. Also I would definitely have water in the pan, don't want those babies drying out. Definitely wrap the chuckie 170*ish.
                  I think you can keep the chuckie in the wsm as long as it's wrapped.
                  I think you've given yourself plenty of time for this cook.
                  Sounds like it's gonna be great.
                  Give us some pics when you're smoking.

And yeah you're gonna be in bbq heaven.
                  Thanks Steve B . I'll keep the temp lower like you said. The "water in the pan" versus "empty pan" keeps me up at nights. I haven't done enough cooks to compare and contrast yet. I did a brisket a few weeks ago where I had water in the pan. The bark didn't set until the IT was 190 degrees, and I wasn't too happy with the results. Don't know if the water in the pan had anything to do with it, but in my head, that was the reason. And I know Harry Soo is a no-pan-guy.Thanks

Comment

Awesome looking rib! Be a little careful with how much hickory you end up using. It can get a little bitter for a long smoke. I like it better for a quick smoke on steaks or chops. Enjoy!
                    Last edited by HorseDoctor; June 22, 2017, 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post
                      Awesome looking rib! Be a little careful with how much hickory you end up using. It can get a little bitter for a long smoke. I like it better for a quite smoke on steaks or chops. Enjoy!
                      Thanks HorseDoctor. Yeah, I used a little too much hickory on my last pork butt. I definitely tasted the bitterness you're talking about.

Comment

• Breadhead
                        Breadhead commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hmmm... I'm thinking you should put the chucky on first and then add the shorties 2 or 3 hours later. Those shorties are going to take about 6 hours.
                        Last edited by Breadhead; June 22, 2017, 04:32 PM.

I agree, chuckies take longer than single short ribs (may be a little closer if it were a full 3 bone slab). I would give the chuckie a 2-3 hr head start like Breadhead said

Comment

Originally posted by smokinfatties View Post
                        I agree, chuckies take longer than single short ribs (may be a little closer if it were a full 3 bone slab). I would give the chuckie a 2-3 hr head start like Breadhead said
                        Will do. Thanks Breadhead smokinfatties

Comment

Everything worked out great! The chuck was delicious. The ribs were good, but I think I could've taken the IT a little higher, so the fat could melt a little bit more. But overall, really happy with the cook. Thank you everyone for all your help!

Name:	Short rib.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	338561

Name:	Pulled chuck.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	338562

Comment

Awesome! Congrats ...

Comment

• Smoking77
                              Smoking77 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here