Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Been Had!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Been Had!

Not quite sure if it was her sense of humor, or what, but my dear Wife got me good. I knew it was time for a New York Strip steak, but I didn't notice that it wasn't 2" thick, only 1 1/2". What can I say, I was not paying attention. We'd made a trip down to the Acropolis, a local butcher and bought a Boston Butt, a pair of 2" Ribeyies, and a pair of the aforementioned NYS steaks also 2". But she also had one already squirreled away, an 1 1/2" NYS from Publix! Not quite a super market "thinny,' but darned close. Any way, that it was what I cooked. I'm not so sure about the actual thickness, as I measured it after the fact, at 1 1/4. Maybe it shrank?

But, we did agree that it came out tasting a little bit better that my previous attempts. And I thought those were pretty good!
    I know you can't taste them, but here is what it looked like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0926.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	336026

Once again I used the cold grate technique. At this point, I cannot imagine doing it any other way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0927.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	336027

I gotta say, this is one good steak! Again, my thanks to the Weber Kettle and the Slow 'n Sear.

Mike S.

Mike... Meathead recommends either a 1.5" or 2" steak when doing the reverse sear method. Your 1.5" steak is fine. It looks good.👍 Nice crust.👌

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Here here!!!

Yummy lookin' NYS!!! Good Job!!!

Comment

You mean to tell me you coulda had another 1/2 inch of that wonderful goodness?!! Nicely done.

Comment

I'm with you. Once you try Dave's cold grate there is no turnin back! Ussin sizzled, grizzled pros can smell your pics, don't apologize.

Comment

• Lowjiber
          Lowjiber commented
          Editing a comment
          I did my first cold grate cook a couple of weeks ago. Like you, I'll never look back.

Great job.

Comment

That's a fine looking steak, inside and outside!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

I'm really going to have to read more on the SnS method.

Comment

• (Mike S.)
                (Mike S.) commented
                Editing a comment
                Make sure you also take a look at the S'nS web site, abcbarbecue.com web site for a good explanation of the cold grate method. Very important!

I'll eat that anytime!

Comment

It looks a little too good and tasty for me. Sorry. I know this is supposed to be a web site where we support each other. However, when I see something that is cooked nicely I just have to speak up.

Comment

These are Chuck Eye Steaks. Each about 4 oz cut 1 1/4 inch thick. I used the Reverse Sear, cold grate technique on my 22" Weber Kettle w/SNS. They were cooked to Medium 140 degrees f. Probably not the best pic. But they were excellent!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	112.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.39 MB ID:	336324

Comment

• (Mike S.)
                    (Mike S.) commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, indeed! Looks simply fantastic.

Sh##, i got hot dogs for dinner

Comment

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am sure they are Prime Dogs!

Hebrew National grilled with jalapeño mustard and onions

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    😆I'm glad you said mustard and onions. No ketchup on hotdogs!!!

• Brewmaster
                    Brewmaster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Never

Wow! I don't know if pea brain can hold all of this! I'm just getting used to reverse sear - now you talk about cold grate. I had no idea what that was so went to the site Mike S mentioned. Watched the video (can not listen to it as I am functionally deaf - closed captions are OK but often don't make sense) So I gather this is a reverse sear but keeping the grate as cool as possible. So this raises a question for me:
                  And I really hate to tell you guys this but my wife and a girlfriend of hers will not touch a steak if it has red in the center. So how do you get great steaks and not fit for human consumption to come off the grill at the same time so we can all eat together?

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Easy peasy... use a Thermapen and pull yours at 132° and let their's get ruined and pull them at 150°.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here