Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First short rib cook questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First short rib cook questions

Finally getting to do beef short ribs. Yeah.
    I have 4 ribs. 2 I left together cause they are thinner. The other 2 I separated so I have 3 pieces. The 2 larger ones weighed right around 1lb each and the double rib about 1lb-9oz.
    So roughly running at 225* any approximate length of time this cook may take?? I know the real answer. But I'm just trying to gauge my timing. And
    if they get probe tender early can I cambro them without turning them into mush???
    As always your input is greatly appreciated.

allrighty than. Here's a couple of pics.
    Kettle all set up. Ribs just put on 12:20 Sunday.
    Oh and is that a little Weber in the background? Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1125.JPG Views:	2 Size:	4.59 MB ID:	334704Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1127.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.49 MB ID:	334703 now 3hrs in temps holding between 244-250* Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1128.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.62 MB ID:	334705 I did use one good sized chunk of cherry wood.

Huskee on a different note. I believe it was you that posted a link to a new kamado. Can you please send me that link again as I'm in the market for a kamado. Thanks brother.

jeeeze forgot to mention the ribs are in "the stall" 158* for the last hour.
    Last edited by Steve B; June 18, 2017, 01:50 PM.

Inch and a half or so???? 5 hours or so. As you know you have the whole bone, meat, fat and thickness thing. These things are really delicious and very fatty. I'm hungry now.

Comment

I agree with HouseHomey. Should be 5-6 hours. Wrap and put in a warming oven for an hour or so after they're done.

Comment

Agree with the above, treat them like little briskets. Wrap when the bark looks good (or you don't have to wrap during the cook) then faux cambro hold for an hour-2.

Comment

Looks like I'm on the right track whohoo.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here