Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Overnight Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Overnight Cook

I have a smaller packer - 10 lbs trimmed to 8 - that I am doing overnight. I trimmed and dry brined it yesterday at 10 am and put it on the WSM last night at 11. I got it stabilized in the mid 230's and turned in about 12:30 with the alarm on the ET-732 set at a low of 220 and a high of 240. I figured the alarms would wake me up and getting some sleep with wake ups to check the fire would be fine. I woke up at 530 to see the temp at 245 with no alarm from the ET?! C'mon man! She's back at 228 as I type this with an internal of 149. I'll keep her uncovered until it hits 160-170 depending on how the bark is looking. I'm shooting for a 3 pm serving and so far, all seems well.

I don't know where the temps ended up overnight or how long they were higher than 245 or how long they were at 245. I think it'll be fine regardless. My Stoker II should be here - better be here! - by the time I do my next overnight for the 4th of July weekend.

WSM
    Brisket - 10 lb. / 8 lb. trimmed
    KBB with Hickory - one small chunk of Mesquite (first time I've tossed in a chunk of mesquite)
    BBBR
    Dry Brine w/Kosher - 11 hours
    Injection - Swanson Beef Broth

Sounds like yer on th' Yummy Brisket Trail, fo' sho'!
    As ya' said, I think no harm whatsoever will come of yer lil' temp spike...
    I also think that y'all find yerself likin' th' mesquite, an' usin more of it!
    Slap some dang pics up on here, when ya' have a chance... th' Suspense is killin' me!

Comment

Letting mesquite work a 11 pound prime packer myself right now in the pellet eater... wanna race?

Comment

• Chiflyfisher
        Chiflyfisher commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol

• FlaBouy
        FlaBouy commented
        Editing a comment
        as soon as I typed that, mine went into stall.... so belay that last request...

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        HeeHee!!! @FlaBuoy !!!
        "Stand By to Stand By, an' Mill About, Smartly!!!"

Here she is all rubbed down last night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5A8CEAD5-CFCE-4D45-BEA2-DA04AC848E86_zpsgn6mwwcl.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	330803

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great!

At the 9 hour mark - 154 degrees internal temp. Smoker at 230. Click image for larger version

Name:	7DF6F2AA-236E-4F3A-B590-A6A222803B3D_zpsperzauzf.jpg
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	330808

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Great Pics!
        Looks like ya' have yerself one o' th' Ultra-Rare, "Anti-Gravity" 22.5"s!!!
        Ain't run across one fer my collection yet...

That's lookin' great!

Comment

Your bark looks like it is setting up pretty good. Congrats and post some slice pics!

Comment

Looks nice.

I think you're gonna like the Mesquite. When I was in Corpus Christi, Texas, it was plentiful; easy to gather; and cheap. I used it all the time in my old bullet smoker (RIP).

Comment

I pulled it off at the 13.5 hour mark. The Maverick was running 203 and the insta read posted 202. Put it in the cambro for about 2.5.

Observations:

Delicious. This was my 3rd brisket and it was delicious.

It was lighter on smoke than if I managed it myself without going to bed. Generally, as the 2 hour mark, I drop another 4 ounces of wood right on the hot spot. I used the Donut and spread the chunks so they would catch - but it still didn't produce the type of smoke that I get when I add again at the 2 hour mark. I'll have to figure this part out.

I wrapped at 165. This was at around the 9 hour mark and the bark was setting up nicely.

I think I'm going to unwrap at a mid 190's temp and fork check rather than simply checking temp. I can rewrap for the cambro. The bark was still set nice and delicious and the brisket was moist but I'd like to get a little more juice in the flat.

I forgot to take shots of the brisket after I unwrapped it because I was busy getting sides and the guests served. As a side note, I made my beans in the smoker using Meatheads recipe and they were outstanding. Simply outstanding. I did substitute molasses with pure maple syrup, added jalapeño and used white and dark red kidney beans.

A couple shots after it was sliced and served:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ADCE8306-6732-4A49-A960-EB19C539FC75_zpssu0zupzo.jpg
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	331472Click image for larger version

Name:	FAC1AFB7-A97B-48AD-AECB-7DF4C807BE42_zpsuscwwjae.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	331473

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here