Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best part of brisket for pastrami?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best part of brisket for pastrami?

Hello! I want to try and make some corned beef and then some pastrami from scratch. The problem is, I don't have a lot of space (only have a Kettle) and the briskets I've seen at the supermarket don't fit, as they're pretty big. They are offering to cut the briskets however I want. Which is the best part of the brisket to make some good pastrami?

Thanks,
    Gijs

I think it depends on what part of the brisket you like best for regular brisket, just transferred over to pastrami. The flat makes for some nice even slices for sandwiches, but the point (to me) is just better eating, yet perhaps harder to slice uniformly compared to the flat. I say get your brisket cut in half, point/flat, and try one of each and see what you think.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      My sentiments exactly!!! ​​​​​​​

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll probably do that!

I hate the point. Too fatty for my tastes.

I'm a flat guy all the way.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      That's crazy talk!

I almost always use the flat for pastrami following David Parrish 's "pastrami Perfected" method (here). Burnt ends from the point is just too good to use for pastrami! Hmm, Pastrami flavored burnt ends??? Interesting thought, might have to try something like that.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Pastrami Prophet!!!!!

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds interesting!

I should add that I don't do the traditional pastrami technique, I cook it all the way on the smoker like regular brisket including cambro hold, no steaming tomorrow. I believe this helps render more point fat than the traditional technique from comparisons I've done. Haven't tried the sous vide technique of Dave's.

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have the chance to try both! Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here