Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with very first PBC cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with very first PBC cook

OK, well first I've been a WSM devotee for about 15 years, coupled with a BBQ Guru. That said, a friend had us over and I saw the PBC for the first time, had some meats off that bad boy and immediately ordered one. I really liked the WSM (no other cooker of that size I know of can handle 8 shoulders at once) but even with the Guru, it was getting to the point where I just didn't want to hassle with it anymore. My two biggest gripes were removing the top grate to get to the lower grate and clean-up.

Now, that said, I plan on doing my first cook in the PBC on Friday. I have a couple slabs of Bershire pork ribs to do, I'll probably do 1 chicken, and I think I'd like to do some beef. Here's where I need help.

I don;t want to try brisket yet. It's hard to get good brisket around here so I'd like to start with a cheaper roast of some kind. I'd love some suggestions on what cut and the possible cook time in a PBC.

Maybe try a pork shoulder and it will probably take at least 6 hours or more depending on weight.

Comment

Chuck Roast is a fan favorite in these here parts. Tri-tip is another popular cut if you have access to it in your area.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Here here I second Nate I did a couple of Chuck roasts in mine and they came out wonderful!! People are getting tired of this but here is a video I did to prove it lol https://youtu.be/xRFGM_X0T1U

you should check out the PBC section for cook times and meat suggestions, there is a wealth of knowledge there
      Last edited by Brewmaster; June 5, 2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I agree with smokin' a chuck roast. If you are a Costco member, they have very marbled chuckies at times.

Comment

Be careful about trying to cook chicken (or any poultry) with other meats. Poultry needs to cook at 325 - 350 deg. F while other meats do best in the PBC's "normal" 275 - 290 deg. F range.

Comment

While certainly not cheap, the best Prime Rib's I've ever cooked came of my PBC.

But to answer your question, I'd say a small 5 lbs chuck roast would be good for pulled beef. Put it on about an hour before your pork ribs and cook until internal temp reaches 165F, then wrap in tinfoil with some liquid. Remove when internal temp reaches 195F. Place in Faux Cambro for an hour or so, and you should be golden.

If you're worried your beef will be ready before your ribs, put the beef on even earlier. A little longer rest in the Faux Cambro won't hurt it!

Comment

Excellent, thanks!

Comment

The PBC makes awesome tri-tip if you can find that cut of meat. I buy them at Costco in a twin pack. Season, hang and pull at 145 degrees (or longer depending on your taste). Let rest and cut against the grain. Incredibly good!

Comment

I'd first rip a chicken in that thing running 400 degrees.

Then some ribs, then a pork shoulder, then a brisket.

If I can run 5 briskets in a PBC you can do one EASILY......

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here