Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Brisket, Still Takes Forever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little Brisket, Still Takes Forever?

I live in Texas. (I wasn't born here but got here as fast as I could... as the saying goes).

I've been smoking BBQ for several years. Confession, I've never done a brisket. (And I live in Central Texas... nobody stone me.)
    Tonight was the first try.

Since it was just my wife and I, I opted to buy a trimmed flat chuck from the local grocery store weighing in at 2.15 lbs. This is on my KBQ (3rd smoke on it).

I also did a rack of pork ribs at the same time (they were positioned well away from one another on different racks on my KBQ so I don't think there was any evaporative bubble interference with each other).
    Ribs finished up in 4-5 hours (normal). Brisket is currently at 8 hours 10 minutes and reading 175-180 F depending on where I poke it.

I really expected this to cook faster given how small it is.

Admittedly, I have little basis for comparison. Normally (other than ribs) I cook pork shoulders, which usually weight in at about 8-10 lbs ea. They take about 14-16 hours at 225 F on my BGE. I've never done a small cut like this before so I'm curious what others experience is? (I'm still learning my KBQ, I've been an egghead for years). The KBQ cooks ribs of the same weight about 1.5-2 hrs faster than I was getting on the BGE. (Since it is a convection oven, I suppose this makes sense).

One thing to remember is that the weight really doesn't matter. It is more about the thickness of the meat you are cooking.
    So if you have a 8 lb shoulder, and you cut it into four pieces, it will be done at about the same time as an intact shoulder. (Maybe a little sooner, but not much)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-03 22.32.01 (Large).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	328315 This one is pretty thin. About 2" or less at the thickest point. I'd post a picture, but that seems to be broken. (I can't upload anything).
      Last edited by Mettius; June 4, 2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

The flat is LOADED with moisture and is the pound for pound stall champion of the meat world.

Try editing your pics. Simple little crop.

Comment

• Mettius
          Mettius commented
          Editing a comment
          That seemed to work. I resized the image, forum software seemed to be OK with it.

I had a very small Brisket that took nearly as long as my bigger briskets. I think Jerod Broussard is right about the stall on the flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
          The flat is LOADED with moisture and is the pound for pound stall champion of the meat world.
          Boy Howdy! and especially if you inject it!!!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Throw in a working muscle and we are going to 200+ internal.....ouch...

This is the first brisket I've cooked. The bark was good, the flavor was good, but it was very dry. Perhaps I cooked it too long?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Dry flats are as common as round baseballs.

When you poked it at 170-180, how did it feel? It could be done as early as 180-190.

Comment

I've cooked a few of the small brisket as that is the brisket my local store carries. I cook unwrapped till 160 then wrap them and run them to about 203. they are usually pretty moist if you let them rest.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here