Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet aged smell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet aged smell?

I decided to try wet aging the brisket from my prior post for the first time. Today is the 23rd day since I bought it. I pulled it from the fridge, cracked the vaccumed package and trimmed it, but it seems to have a faint sour smell that I'm not sure is normal. Is that normal for wet aging or has it turned on me?

Hard to tell if it really went bad. Did you see something similar to what is pictured below when you opened the fridge?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Farside.jpg
Views:	1713
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	325144

Comment

• JPGators17
      JPGators17 commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that is funny. Haha!

Seriously, a not going away sour that isn't too strong ain't bad. Mine seem to have a little odor.

Comment

So if it is bad will it just taste terrible or should I reserve a hospital room if I decide to try it?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Neither in my opinion. If it fills the house with odor that makes your eyes water and it jumps off the counter by itself, then maybe.

I think you'll probably be fine so long as you proceed with caution. A faint sour smell is one thing (I find brisket smells funky right out of the package regardless), but if the smell worsen's, or smells bad when you're cooking it, I'd probably have second thoughts on eating it.

Daniel Vaughn wrote an interesting piece earlier this year about a brisket he wet aged for a whole year (link: http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-year-old-brisket/). In the article he claimed that Franklin's wet age their brisket for up to 40 days.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Great read. I'm no fan of the seam fat, and I don't slice for it.

• binarypaladin
        binarypaladin commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not sure I'm ever going to get the image of that seam fat out of my head. That article conjured some interesting imagined smells. Erg.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here