Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Cut Top Round For Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Cut Top Round For Jerky

Bought two pieces of top round today with the intention of making jerky out of it this weekend. I've never used this cut before. Do I cut across the grain or with the grain? In the past I've used brisket flat cut it about a quarter inch thick with the grain. I plan on tenderizing it with my needle tender riser so I'm not really concerned about it being overly tough. Can anyone with experience in this matter chime in?

That cut works great for Beef Jerky, I usually cut it against the grain, of course trim all the fat but do not tenderize. The thinner pieces to me don't have as much chew as I like, but the rest of the family prefers them.

Comment

How thick?

Comment

• SMOG MAN
        SMOG MAN commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with Steve B, I shoot for about 1/8".

Definitely cut across the grain. Last batch I did I cut with the grain and it was very tough. I also would not tenderize the meat. I try to keep it a little under 1/4" thick.

What's your marinade by the way??

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here