Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixed Results This Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixed Results This Weekend

I had mixed results from my cook this weekend. I had both a great success and an epic failure. I'm still trying to get used to my new Broil King Smoke charcoal cabinet smoker. I love it but i'm just not used to it yet. I was trying my hand at pastrami for the first time and then a tried and true batch of beef jerky.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	322345
    This smoker is much easier to maintain temps than my old cheap bullet style smoker. The pastrami (on top) was following the Katz recipe from the website but I cheated and used a store bought corned beef. The pastrami came out FABULOUS!!! The flavor was perfect and it was extremely tender.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0529.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	322347

Unfortunately, the jerky (which I have made dozens of times) didn't turn out so well. I checked it when I took the pastrami off and it looked like it needed just a little bit longer. Big mistake. In that "little bit longer" it basically turned to charcoal. There was a small portion that I was able to salvage but it was very disappointing for sure. Oh well, this was kind of a test case before I take jerky back to the family reunion next month. I will just have to try again and watch it a little closer.
    Attached Files

That pastrami does look great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here