Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Know your Cow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Know your Cow...

Didn't quite know where to put this but it is absolutely one of the better butchering videos I have seen. Grab a beverage, a knife and a half of a cow and enjoy!

Outstanding!

Comment

Ok. I'm gonna have to watch this again several times. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Yes, very impressive. I've watched it twice and I'll probably view it a few more times.

I've been somewhat confused with the terminology used for different cuts. The same cut of meat can go by numerous names depending on geography, culture, slang, history, and probably the most important, marketing. This video did indeed help me identify the cuts I'm familiar with and introduce me to cuts I've only infrequently heard about or not at all.

I couldn't help but think the damage I'd do to my fingers if I ever weilded a knife like that. Butchering is better left to the professionals and I thank them for providing us the protein for our passion.

Comment

rodkeary Yes! One of the most under marketed, and under rated steaks to me is the good ole Chuck Eye steak. Simply can't be beat for many reasons.

In my past life, I think I was a really bad butcher or something. So this stuff has always fascinates me.

Comment

• rodkeary
            rodkeary commented
            Editing a comment
            Chuck Eye Steak aka "poor man's ribeye" or "boneless chuck filet steak" (I just looked this up). I would NEVER EVER considered cutting a chuck roast into steaks as I've been brought up to believe chuck=tough. This is why I love The Pit. I learn something new every time I sign in. Thanks.

Super Cool!!!
          Thanks fer sharin', Brotha!!!!

Comment

watching the video right now but 1st I really want to know where to get some of that sweet Medieval Chain Mail!! Why? What Aaa no reason

Comment

have not heard of a Denver Cut of meat but it sure looks tasty!! Lots o marbling!

Comment

Great video Lonnie!! Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Very, very cool video.

Comment

Fantastic!

Comment

I'm a huge fan of watching stuff like that as well, and I also saw that video when BA posted it. It was awesome. Scott Rea is also guy I continuously go to and who's videos I find to be very educational and easy to understand. Y'all should check his stuff out! He's British so seeing how butchers break down an animal in different countries is super intriguing! He does multiple different animals and has a bunch of videos of awesome looking English cooking...A must see folk!

Author, Butcher, Cook. The Scott Rea Project started as just that, a project, a personal passion I have for butchery and food that I wanted to share before the skills and traditions I learnt over a lifetime died away. But it has evolved and become a movement, a mobilisation of like minded people who feed off my videos - they imitate, replicate, modify and experiment! We are dragging game, offal and traditional artisan butchery and recipes into the 21st century for a new generation to discover and enjoy. No longer are these products and methods frowned upon, this new audience are getting back to the basics of field to fork, nose to tail eating.

Comment

• lonnie mac
                        lonnie mac commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep! I have watched a ton of Scott Rea vids. Really good.

Thanks indeed! But how come my sides never came out that way? I just remember "stew meat or ground"? ;-)
                      Of course, I also remember my beef farmer complaining about the processor.

If you want to get into it further, including a how-to CD, check out https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Covers a lot of the same stuff, but also goes over pigs and poultry. Especially useful if you're buying sides yourself because it gets into the tradeoffs with different cuts.

It was recommended by a fellow Pit denizen.

ps that guy who did the video above is a master!

Comment

Awesome!

BTW, to get the full screen view, click on the title at the top of the posted image. It will open in a new tab. The only drawback was that I had to sit through a commercial before I could watch the video.
                        Last edited by gcdmd; May 20, 2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Uh...how do I become a butcher? That is the most amazing video I've seen in a while. That is art, and extremely educational. Thanks lonnie mac

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here